Q. Is it possible for a HIV patient to lead a normal life without transmitting the infection?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

One of my relatives is HIV positive. He says that it is functional and the virus is not affecting him in any way and he will not transmit the infection to anyone. As per him he does not require the antiviral medicine also but taking it as he is extra cautious.

1. Please help me on how can I be sure of his claims as truth in this relation is very important for me.

2. Also, can you please let me know the prognosis of this disease. As per him, he will live a normal life and there is no threat of developing AIDS as he is a special case. Please let me know if this is true and how can it be proved.

#

There is nothing like functional HIV infection. Confirm, whether he is HIV 1 or 2 because HIV 2 is less infectious and less violent than 1. If he is infected with 1, then there will be slow progressor or rapid progressor. If he is rapid, then he will have a low CD4 count below 350 by two years, and if he is slow progressor then it will take 4 to 5 years but inevitable to land in AIDS if he will not take medicines.

1. Get his viral load and CD4 report to know the current status to assess his claims.

2. Prognosis is very good at current age owing to very good use of HAART medication. They can live a normal life with medicine.

|