Q. Can Doxy and Flavospas cause fat loss from the body?

Published on Dec 17, 2017

I had unprotected sexual exposure around four months ago and after that I found a swelling in my right scrotum (after scanning found benign) and consulted a urologist and told him about my exposure and he prescribed Azhithral injections but I was unable to take as it became allergic in the test dose and then he gave me Doxy LDR1 forte (14 no.s) and Flavospas 200 mg for one week. When I was consuming this, I got heavy pain in my body and after some days I found that fat under my thighs, palms, hands, legs, chest, feet and soles has been lost (it is still continuing). A swollen lymph node in neck appeared and my left parotid gland became swollen. I consulted an ENT. He prescribed Moxclav 625. The swelling in the parotid gland subsided and again after some days there was swelling and the doctor gave me Piroxicam. Again it subsided and then after some days again the same problem raised and the doctor gave me Claribid 500 for five days and it subsided.

A scan was done on my neck and the result showed:

Enlarged left parotid gland with diffuse decrease in echogenicity possibly parotitis. Cervical lymphadenitis: Enlarged lymph nodes noted in the left posterior cervical, submandibular and upper jugular group. They show maintained fatty hilum and ovoid shape. Maximum short axis diameter is 5 mm.Still, I am losing fat from thighs, glute, legs, hands, chest, palms, and soles of the feet, etc. I have a burning and tingling sensation all over the body and in the night inside of both palms become red and veins become enlarged. The following tests I did for HIV and other STDs after the above-mentioned exposure:

• P24 antigen - 28th day.
  • ELISA - 42nd day.
  • CMIA DUO test - 75th day.
  • ELISA - 92nd day.
  • Hep B, HCV, and VDRL - 99th day.

All the above tests were negative. And doctors said that HIV test after 90th day is conclusive that I do not have HIV. Then please analysis my case and give me your valuable suggestions.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I need to know some more information such as how much weight have you lost in the last four to six months, the presence of any other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, joints pain, recurrent oral or genital ulcer. Was there any ulcer over the scrotum during the swelling? The symptoms which you have are very non-specific and can be associated with any chronic illness. So further tests will be guided by your symptoms. Are you in touch with the lady, if yes does she have any particular illness?

Firstly, there is very less likelihood of HIV, almost nil. At this stage, the possibilities I would keep are of syphilis. However, your VDRL is negative. Orit may just be a psychological issue due to overthinking about that exposure. Anyway, you will need some more investigations like complete hemogram with ESR and CRP, liver and renal function test, ANA antibody test, chest X-ray. For syphilis, you will need other tests like FTA-ABS or TPPA or MHA TP. If none of the above are informative, we may need a CT scan of the neck, chest, and abdomen. So, get back with some information, and answers to my questions.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have not lost any weight (lost only subcutaneous fat). I do not have any fever, diarrhea, oral or genital ulcer. No ulcer or pain over the scrotum. No inguinal swelling or lymph nodes. No abdominal pain or nausea. I do not know that lady. After that exposure, I have not been in contact with her. I did CBC last week and my ESR was 16 mm/hr.

#

So, in all probabilities, you are disease-free. You do not have any serious illness. You do not need any more tests. ESR and CRP are the markers of inflammation in the body. If you have any infection or illness, their level rises. Also, you did not lose weight. That also suggests that there is no serious illness.

Regarding losing fat, I want you to document it like measure the thigh, legs, and arms diameter at the fixed point and monitor it serially over a few days. It is probably your false perception or just redistribution of fat. It is not a sign of any serious disease especially HIV or any STD. However, we need to rule out diabetes. So, get your sugars at fasting and post lunch, and also get your blood pressure checked. If you are losing fat, then you must also lose weight, right?

First, regarding your parotid gland swelling, you probably had a repeated bacterial infection of the gland. It occurs in individuals with a stone in the glands pipeline or poor oral hygiene. And it has responded to antibiotics. Do you have any pain in the parotid gland region? If yes, you must get sialography done to rule out a stone and then its removal. Also, maintain good oral hygiene with mouthwash.

For tingling, I suggest you have tablet Neurobion forte (multivitamin and multimineral) once a day for two to three weeks. Do you have any anxiety, stress or any sleep problems?These could play a role in your disease. Most importantly, do not worry much about the illness and try to ignore it. You do not have HIV or any serious illness. I hope that helps you and get back if you have any more doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Regarding parotid gland, it was scanned. There was no stone. My oral hygiene is good. I brush twice on all days right from my childhood days. My FBS was always between 100 and 107 and PPBS 110 and 120. But when I found the loss of subcutaneous fat, the FBS suddenly moved to 133 and PPBS to 154. When I told the physician, he gave me Surbex gold and then the values returned back as earlier. My doubt is this phenomenon started when I started Doxy and Flavospas. Would it be due to a side effect of these drugs? As per the scanning of the neck, it is mentioned as cervical lymphadenitis. I have checked very clearly. There was no redistribution of fat. Before starting of this phenomenon, I was a stout person and now I am becoming lean, but the weight is not reducing. So losing of subcutaneous fat under the skin is evident. Please reply.

#

It is probably because your perception has changed due to too much health anxiety. Fat has a weight, if someone is gaining it, then weight must increase or losing it, then weight must decrease. From now onwards, you measure the girth of the limbs and make a chart daily. It would be evident from this. Also, your inflammatory marker ESR is normal which rules out major illness. You can also get CRP levels done, it is also an inflammatory marker. If it is elevated then we can take necessary action. Have you been ever tested for thyroid? If not get it done. Hyperthyroidism is one of the causes of fat loss. Also, none of the drugs you had have this side effects.

Also, regarding your cervical lymphadenitis, it is not truly a lymphadenitis. Because maximum size is just 5 mm which is normal for neck lymph nodes. Normally lymph nodes are present in the neck, and at least more than 10 mm is needed to call it as lymphadenitis. Also, there is not a feature of any abnormalities in the report. This mild enlargement can be due to parotitis or any viral fever, etc and it does not need investigation or treatment. So, do not worry.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

For these symptoms, what type of specialist doctor do I have to visit?

#

You need to visit MD medicine personnel. He/she will do a good general examination and if something is found, he will accordingly refer you.

Are 'general medicine' and 'medicine' the same?

#

Look for a degree. It should be MD in internal or general medicine.

I did lipid profile, LFT, RFT, and TFT. Following are the details: Blood urea 27 Ref: 15 to 40, Serum creatinine 1.1 Ref: 0.7 to 1.4, Total Cholesterol 225, Triglyceride 106, HDL 40, LDL 164, VLDL 21, Bilirubin total 1.0, SGOT 22, SGPT 30, Alkaline phosphate 126, Serum total protein 7.3, Serum albumin 3.7, Globulin 3.6 Ref: 1.3 to 3.3, A/G Ratio 1:1 Ref 1.2:1, T3 5.0 Ref: 0.92 to 2.33, T4 77 Ref: 60 to 120, TSH 4.5 Ref 0.25 to 5.0, Serum uric acid 5.2 Ref: 3.4 to 7, Sodium 142, Potassium 4.2, HbA1c 5.9. Urine test - Albumin: Trace, U.sugar: nil, Pus cells: 2 to 4 and Epithelial cells 1 to 2. Please check these results.

#

There is no need to worry. The reports are fine except cholesterol which is elevated. I can see you are slightly overweight. At this stage, you need lifestyle modification. You should avoid oily, fatty, high-calorie foods like sweets and sweetened beverages.

You need regular exercises like running and brisk walking for at least 30 minutes a day. Try to achieve weight loss and BMI (body mass index) should be less than 23.

Repeat lipid profile after three months. Also, get blood pressure checked once.

What about elevated T3 and TSH which is in borderline, also elevated globulin?

#

We have to see the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). If it is normal, then T3 and T4 are not that significant. A mild variation is acceptable.

Also, slightly high globulin is acceptable. There is no problem in that as well. So do not worry about it.

What should a fatty liver grade 3 patient eat and drink?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with fatty liver grade 3, so my doctor told me to correlate clinically. My SGPT and SGOT levels are normal and within limits. So, the doctor, after doing a physical examination, said that there is no need of fibroscan. He told me to eat everything but exercise a l...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full »

Can Hashimoto's disease cause enlarged lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism since four years. I take Eltroxin daily and go for a thyroid sonar once a year. I went for an ultrasound yesterday and my report stated that my thyroid features are consistent with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But, what reall...  Read Full »