Q. Can I get HIV from having blood drawn from a vacutainer needle?

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar
Published on Mar 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

I went for a routine blood test at a private clinic. The person in the lab used a vacutainer needle to draw blood. After three weeks of that incident, I had an incident of headache and neck and body pain. Also, I had mouth ulcer and rash which I never had before. I do not know if they resemble ARS or my anxiety. I was in terrible fear of contracting HIV virus from the blood draw. I know it may sound irrational but can I get HIV from drawing blood if the needle was reused. It also took him some time to take my blood. I had done a test at four and six weeks after the incident which was negative but I am still in fear. I never had sex nor do I use drugs. Please release my anxiety. Can I get HIV from having my blood draw from vacutainer needle? Please give a detailed reply.

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Is the needle used by any other patient? Or only for urself?

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I do not know. I suspect it was reused. Can I get HIV by this drawing of blood? I am kind of worried.

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Did he open the needle in front of you?

Do not get tensed.

I did not observe that but my irrational thinking is taking the best out of me. I got symptoms like mouth ulcer and rash which I never had before. That is why. Otherwise, I never had sex nor do I use drugs. So, I am worried whether it is possible to get HIV from the procedure of blood draw. I got tested after four and six weeks of that incident which were negative but I am still in the window period. So, what are the chances of HIV from a blood draw from a needle?

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

The risk of HIV infection increases following the exposure if:

- the source patient has advanced HIV disease,

- the device was previously placed in source patient's blood vessel,

- there is visible blood on source device causing injury,

- amount of blood transferred,

- or if the injury is deep in nature.

And you have got done an HIV test at four weeks and six weeks. Did you go for fourth generation HIV test?

Do not get tensed. Be relaxed. Your stress is causing more symptoms.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I did HIV rapid flow through immunofiltration.

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Go for HIV DUO test. This clears your doubt. Be cool and do not get tensed.

This test is not available in my city. Has anyone got HIV from blood draw in the world? Also, the flow of blood was outward. So, was there a major risk? I did not have fever and my skin rash was at the seventh week, and mouth ulcer was at the sixth week. Are the symptoms late for an ARS? Is the test which I did reliable at six weeks or not? I am too concerned.

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

The test which you have done is reliable, but the test which I have suggested can detect HIV even in two weeks also. I suggested basically for your peace of mind. The average risk is 0.3%. So, the probability is very less. You are thinking too much and getting tensed.

My friend abused cocaine and became sick. What to do now?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend abused weed, alcohol and cocaine in a span of 20 days. Last two days he had cocaine twice, even though that was the first time and did not sleep. Then, he travelled and became sick with 104 degree fever, cough, swollen tonsils and right knee numbness. His blood test result showe...  Read Full »

I took PEP after 42 hours of HIV exposure. Am I safe?

Query: Hello doctor,I had protected vaginal intercourse with an HIV positive woman and I had taken PEP after 42 hours of exposure. I was texted negative at the baseline with PCR RNA test and post completing PEP my blood was drawn again for PCR RNA test and it took five days to get the results. I am very ha...  Read Full »

What are the possible ways I can get an HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to know what unprotected sex means. If I penetrate in a female's vagina without a condom but do not release any semen, will it be considered as unprotected sex? Also, can there be an HIV infection in such a case?  Read Full »