Q. What are the chances of getting HIV after protected sex?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

I am a 26-year-old male. I had protected sex with a sex worker a month back. I used one condom, she gave oral sex and post that had vaginal sex for 5 minutes. Once I finished off, I went to the bathroom and got cleaned off. I could not see any tear as such on the condom. I just washed my penis and got back home. The same night after 2 hours I pulled my foreskin behind to clean my penis with soap. The frenulum got too tight and tore. It started bleeding. I washed my penis and let it heal for 2 weeks.

What are the chances of getting HIV from what had happened? I do not have any symptoms. Just had fever for a day and now I have a common cold. On the 15th-day post exposure (yesterday), I went for the HIV PCR RNA yesterday. The results are yet to come. Will the torn frenulum give chance for HIV virus to get in after 2 hours? I am feeling very anxious and stressed out. I really need your guidance. Please suggest what I need to do to rule out HIV and live a normal life. Please help.

#

The chances of transmission of HIV with given description is almost nil. The HIV test is likely to be negative. If the test is negative, it is almost conclusive provided there is no further risk exposure. The chance of test result coming positive later is almost nil. You can go for HIV antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to have final conclusive results to relieve your anxiety.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

I really appreciate your quick response. There was no further exposure. Can I take this HIV RNA test result as conclusive and not retest after that? I just wanted to know how accurate this test is after 15 days of post exposure. Is it more than 95% accurate? And are there chances of false negatives?

#

HIV RNA PCR is more than 95%-99% sensitive after 12 to 14 days of exposure. It is almost conclusive. But, it would be better to go for HIV antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to have final conclusive results and to relieve your anxiety.

I got my PCR RNA results but they have only done it for HIV 1. It has come back as not detected. I have attached the report for your reference. Lymphocytes are slightly high. Is this a bad thing? Please give me your feedback. I also want to know the following:

1. Do I need to test for HIV 2?
  2. How safe am I with respect to acquiring HIV?
  3. Do I need to test for STD? I do not have any kind of symptoms.

Please suggest what I need to do to get this done and forget about this.

#

The chances of transmission of HIV with given description is almost nil. HIV 1 PCR is negative. It is almost conclusive (attachment removed to protect patient identity) HIV 2 is usually rare. You can get HIV 2 RNA PCR too if you desire. It is rare.

Though the chances of tests coming positive later are nil, it is better to go for HIV 1 and 2 antibodies tests after 3 months exposure for final conclusive results.

You can get other STDs panel test if you desire like VDRL, HSV 1 and 2, IgM and IgG antibodies tests and HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) as a routine.

Can I take the STD panel test now? It has been 3 weeks since the exposure. I need not repeat it later on, is it? If I do a HIV 2 PCR tomorrow and if it comes as negative, will I be 95 % safe?

#

You can get STD panel test now as a baseline. If you develop any symptoms, the specific tests can be done if needed. You can get HIV 2 PCR done now. It is more than 95 % sensitive. HIV 1 and 2 antibodies tests after 3 months will give final conclusive results.

I just wanted to update you with my test results. I had dont a hiv 1 pcr rna on the 15th day post potential exposure and it came out negative. On the 21st day post exposure I did a hiv 2 pcr and it also came out as negative yesterday. I have attached the report. Am I safe? Is this conclusive? Can I forget about hiv? please advice. Thanks in advance.
# Hi
Thank you for follow up query
It is almost Conclusive after both HIV 1&2 RNA PCR is Negative.The Chances of HIV test results coming positive later is almost nil. You are free from HIV provided there is no further risk exposure.
But it would be better to get HIV 1&2 Antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to have final conclusive results

|