Q. What are the chances of getting HIV after protected sex?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Feb 27, 2018

I am a 26-year-old male. I had protected sex with a sex worker a month back. I used one condom, she gave oral sex and post that had vaginal sex for 5 minutes. Once I finished off, I went to the bathroom and got cleaned off. I could not see any tear as such on the condom. I just washed my penis and got back home. The same night after 2 hours I pulled my foreskin behind to clean my penis with soap. The frenulum got too tight and tore. It started bleeding. I washed my penis and let it heal for 2 weeks.

What are the chances of getting HIV from what had happened? I do not have any symptoms. Just had fever for a day and now I have a common cold. On the 15th-day post exposure (yesterday), I went for the HIV PCR RNA yesterday. The results are yet to come. Will the torn frenulum give chance for HIV virus to get in after 2 hours? I am feeling very anxious and stressed out. I really need your guidance. Please suggest what I need to do to rule out HIV and live a normal life. Please help.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

The chances of transmission of HIV with given description is almost nil. The HIV test is likely to be negative. If the test is negative, it is almost conclusive provided there is no further risk exposure. The chance of test result coming positive later is almost nil. You can go for HIV antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to have final conclusive results to relieve your anxiety.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

I really appreciate your quick response. There was no further exposure. Can I take this HIV RNA test result as conclusive and not retest after that? I just wanted to know how accurate this test is after 15 days of post exposure. Is it more than 95% accurate? And are there chances of false negatives?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

HIV RNA PCR is more than 95%-99% sensitive after 12 to 14 days of exposure. It is almost conclusive. But, it would be better to go for HIV antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to have final conclusive results and to relieve your anxiety.

I got my PCR RNA results but they have only done it for HIV 1. It has come back as not detected. I have attached the report for your reference. Lymphocytes are slightly high. Is this a bad thing? Please give me your feedback. I also want to know the following:

1. Do I need to test for HIV 2?
  2. How safe am I with respect to acquiring HIV?
  3. Do I need to test for STD? I do not have any kind of symptoms.

Please suggest what I need to do to get this done and forget about this.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

The chances of transmission of HIV with given description is almost nil. HIV 1 PCR is negative. It is almost conclusive (attachment removed to protect patient identity) HIV 2 is usually rare. You can get HIV 2 RNA PCR too if you desire. It is rare.

Though the chances of tests coming positive later are nil, it is better to go for HIV 1 and 2 antibodies tests after 3 months exposure for final conclusive results.

You can get other STDs panel test if you desire like VDRL, HSV 1 and 2, IgM and IgG antibodies tests and HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) as a routine.

Can I take the STD panel test now? It has been 3 weeks since the exposure. I need not repeat it later on, is it? If I do a HIV 2 PCR tomorrow and if it comes as negative, will I be 95 % safe?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

You can get STD panel test now as a baseline. If you develop any symptoms, the specific tests can be done if needed. You can get HIV 2 PCR done now. It is more than 95 % sensitive. HIV 1 and 2 antibodies tests after 3 months will give final conclusive results.

I just wanted to update you with my test results. I had dont a hiv 1 pcr rna on the 15th day post potential exposure and it came out negative. On the 21st day post exposure I did a hiv 2 pcr and it also came out as negative yesterday. I have attached the report. Am I safe? Is this conclusive? Can I forget about hiv? please advice. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

# Hi
Thank you for follow up query
It is almost Conclusive after both HIV 1&2 RNA PCR is Negative.The Chances of HIV test results coming positive later is almost nil. You are free from HIV provided there is no further risk exposure.
But it would be better to get HIV 1&2 Antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to have final conclusive results

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not appear to be hairy cell leukoplakia. It appears like a normal ulceration or papule only. I suggest applying Triamcinolone ointment over it twice daily and observe if it goes down. Eat a healthy diet rich in folic acid and all other vitamins. Take plenty o...  Read Full

How to prevent pregnancy other than using condoms and pills?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to get¬†married in four months. We want to know whether there is any other way to avoid pregnancy other than using condoms or taking pills. I have seen somewhere on the internet that if we do intercourse for some particular period, then pregnancy can be avoided. Is it true? If ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right in saying that there are other methods of birth control and called calendar method. For a woman, who have 35 days cycle, between 15 to 27 day is unsafe. In case she has irregular periods, then it becomes very tricky. The calendar method is somewhat unsafe wh...  Read Full

How accurate is HIV-1 RNA, QL TMA?

Query: Hello doctor, Is HIV RNA, QL TMA accurate after 20 to 21 days of exposure? And also this came with my results. RNA is not detected. No laboratory evidence of HIV infection. The HIV-1 RNA qualitative TMA assay is recommended for use as part of a multi-test HIV-1/HIV-2 screening and diagnostic algori...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HIV RNA PCR test is accurate after 9 to 13 days after the risk exposure. It can be used to detect early infection with HIV when most other screening tests are not yet reliable. However, it is not a confirmatory test and an early screening with RNA PCR should be followed...  Read Full

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now