Q. I have balanitis and seborrheic dermatitis after having unprotected sex with a commercial worker. Is it HIV?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2022 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2022

I had unprotected sex with a commercial sex worker, and my HIV duo test after four months, rapid antibody screening test after six months, and one year are negative. I experienced severe flu two weeks after the sexual encounter, and for the last three to four months, I have been suffering from balanitis and seborrheic dermatitis. I read on the internet that seborrheic dermatitis and balanitis can be due to STDs; I am worried if I have an HIV infection.

Please help.

#

I have read your concern in detail and understand it.

1) It is true that seborrheic dermatitis (a skin disease that causes scaly patches and red skin) and balanitis (inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis) can be caused due to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) but is not the only cause. There can be other STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) that can cause these symptoms.

2) I suggest you get tests to rule out conditions like syphilis (a bacterial infection spread by sexual contact which starts as a painless sore detected by VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory) test), chlamydia (a common sexually transmitted disease that may present without symptoms) and gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted bacterial infection) and HSV (herpes simplex virus, a virus causing contagious sores in the mouth or the genitals).

3) I also suggest you take the following medications;

1)Tablet Azithromycin 1 gm stat (start immediately) single dose.

2)Tablet Forcan (Fluconazole) 150 mg stat single dose.

3)Tablet Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day for five days.

4)Terbinafine Hydrochloride 1 % ointment, apply on the affected area twice daily.

5)Tablet Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for seven days.

6)Tablet Cyra (Rabeprazole) 20 mg twice daily.

Please attach your HIV test reports taken after six weeks and six months of exposure.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Thank you for the reply.

I already underwent all the tests you mentioned; six months after the unprotected sex, the reports were normal. But I am still facing this issue.

Kindly guide.

#

1)As you say that the tests came out negative, you need not worry; you can take the medications I prescribed and will see improvement.

2) I would also suggest repeating the VDRL as it can come negative in the initial stages.

3) It would be better if you could share the reports of the tests undergone and the medications you have taken to analyze the condition better.

I hope this helps

Please revert with the details.

|