Q. Is Comb Aids test result reliable after 5 months of possible exposure?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2020

I had a risky exposure (genital rubbing without full penetration) for 5-10 seconds and oral sex with a high-risk person. I did third-generation fingerprick blood test 10 times after five months at two weeks interval. After 182 days, I went to ICTC and did Comb Aids test and the result was negative. Is Comb Aids comparable to ELISA? How good is Comb Aids test? Are rapid kits in India reliable after five months? Please guide.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

The answers to your queries are genital rubbing and oral sex carries a low risk of acquisition of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and other STIs (sexually transmitted infections).

Comb Aids is a highly sensitive and specific test. It is a rapid antibody test and is recommended to screen HIV infection. Results are comparable to ELISA.

Yes, rapid tests are reliable, provided the test has been done in an accredited lab. The recommendation is to test for HIV antibodies at three months of last unprotected exposure and if the result is negative, there is no need to repeat the test if there is no further exposure. Rapid test performed at five months of last exposure gives a reliable report, if it has been performed in an accredited lab. Also, I want to emphasize that there is no need to repeat the test multiple times if there is no further exposure.

Please also get tested for other STIs like syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis B and C infection, herpes simplex 1 and 2, if not done after unprotected exposure. You can share the test reports for further interpretation.

|