iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPathologyhiv testingI splashed the HIV-positive person’s blood. Please help.

What test should be done to determine HIV status after being exposed to an HIV seropositive patient's blood?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At May 21, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am an intern doctor and I splashed the blood of an HIV seropositive patient while I was trying to flush an IV catheter 20 days back. The patient was on a TLE regimen and was in failure. His CD4 count was 6. I immediately seek assistance and was given the first dose of TLE within 2 hours and was then started on ZL-bd and AR- od. I have been taking my medications sincerely since then. I want to know which test should I get done, since NAT testing results can become equivocal by PEP and will the p24 test be reliable at this point. Or any other test which will let me know for sure about my status. Kindly suggest.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You have tested with NAT (nucleic acid testing) testing after twenty days of exposure. NAT tests usually give conclusive results within two weeks. So no need to worry and complete 28 days course of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) treatment. PEP is very effective in preventing HIV. But still, you can get tested for HIV six weeks after exposure by fourth-generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) testing. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

fear of hivhiv testing

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy