Q. Is it possible to transmit HIV through the cuts in hand?

Published on Apr 28, 2019

I want to ask is it possible for me to transmit HIV through hand cut, (I have attached a picture) because I had anxiety when shaking hands. I am almost certainly HIV negative according to tests, but still anxious. Kindly advice.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

No, unless you put your hands in HIV positive blood.

| 

But I meant if such an old cut with not much blood on it as in the picture could transmit HIV to someone. If I am HIV positive and other person is negative, with a cut on their hand what will happen if we meet?

#

It is almost practically impossible to transmit the virus through such a small cut when the contact time is so less (handshaking). No such case is reported. I hope it helps you. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to contact us.

| 

If there is no blood coming from my cut and if the person I would shake hands would have cut that bleed and we shake the hand and if cuts touch, is it impossible for HIV to get transmitted?

#

Visible blood is not the issue, and the problem is a presence of virus and breach in the skin. So if I am going to pour HIV positive blood into your wound of which you have sent me the photographs then you are at risk. Do not worry you will be not HIV positive.

| 

I am not worried about me but about the other people that I might infect them although I am almost certainly HIV negative still there is chance. Could my cut infect the person I shook hand with? If they have cut too and bleeding?

#

You do not pose any threat to others as frank blood is necessary to transmit the virus. In your case, it is a healthy healing wound which will not shed the virus even if you are positive. So neither you are at risk, nor you do not pose any risk. I hope it helps you.

| 

HIV DNA PCR negative at 10 and 13 days. Should I go for more testing?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had unprotected oral sex for three minutes and she was not bleeding at the time from what I know. I got tested for proviral DNA PCR qualitative test at 10 days negative and duo test at 13 days negative. Should I go for more testing or consider it conclusive?  Read Full »

What is the chance of transmitting TB to partner after completion of medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pulmonary TB and this is the third month since taking medicine. I had blood in sputum few times and sputum test showed negative but based on CT scan, the doctor suspected pulmonary TB. I was recommended medicine for six months. I am feeling better after taking medicine and...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now