Q. What test can I get for early detection of HIV?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

I had unprotected sex four weeks back. Later on, I cross checked with the girl, and she stated she do not have any disease. But still, I am worried. After three weeks I have checked with P24 antigen test, the test value is 0.0, and it is non-reactive. By the fourth week (28th day) I have checked with HIV 1 and 2 antibody test and final results are non-reactive. HIV 1/2 P24 combo test CMIA method - 1.8, which is reactive. Immunochromatography method non-reactive and flow through immunochromatography non-reactive. What could be the reason for CMIA test to show as reactive? By considering these tests, what would be the accuracy of HIV status as negative? I have throat infection alone for the last two weeks. Is that a symptom of HIV? What is the early conclusive test that I can go with?

#

• It could be false positive. You have more than 95 percent chances of being negative.
  • Sore throat may or may not be a symptom of HIV.
  • Go for western blot test and HIV RT-PCR (real-time polymerase chain reaction) test to confirm the status of HIV.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|