Q. I kissed someone who had HPV. Could I be infected?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I kissed someone who had HPV, about three weeks ago. I have been having diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal pain for the past three days. I also threw up today. Could I have been infected?

Hematology Pathology
#

HPV (human papillomavirus) is spread through sexual route. It is a sexually transmitted disease. The common mode of spread is through vaginal or anal sex. Sometimes, it can be spread through oral sex also.

For diarrhea, symptomatic management is done as follows:

1. Drink a lot of water to maintain hydration.
  2. Avoid excess spicy foods and fatty meals.
  3. I suggest trying Racecadotril like antisecretory drugs.
  • For vomiting, I suggest taking antihelmintic like Domperidone. Get a stool routine microscopy examination and culture done for further investigation.
  • HPV is not known to cause diarrhea. HPV leads to cervical dysplasia and genital wart. For which, a Pap smear and biopsy can be done if needed. Consult your physician or gynecologist for examination, if needed.

Hope your doubt is cleared. Take care.

For more information consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

|