Q. After the diagnosis of hydronephrosis, what is the next step of treatment?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am an 18 year old girl. My height is 5 feet and weight is 42 kg. I have been suffering from frequent stomach ache for the past two to three months. I do not have any problem in urination. I thought that the pain was due to some food infection. Later, I was diagnosed to have moderate left hydronephrosis. What are the treatment options? Please explain whether surgery is must or laparoscopic procedure can be done. Do I need immediate treatment?

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• It is necessary to do a DTPA nuclear scan (Diethylene triamine penta aceticacid) to confirm the diagnosis of UPJ obstruction (renal pelvis obstruction) and to know the severity of obstruction.
  • Only then, you should go for surgery. Yes, it can be done by laparoscopy.
  • It needs three days hospital stay and then four days rest at home. So, you may need to take one week off from college.
  • You will have to get the stent removed six weeks after surgery.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

You have cleared my doubts. I am so grateful to you.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

You are welcome. Do not hesitate to contact us for further doubts.

For further doubts consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|