Q. I have hyperreflexia. Can this be neurological?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2020

I am 37 years old. Three years ago I had spine surgery for herniated disc L5-S1. After the surgery strange symptoms began. Four hours after surgery when I tried to sleep I got myoclonic jerks. Then I had problem with ligaments. My ligaments started to stretch so easily that I began to hurt myself. I was healthy before surgery and had no problems. I also have hyperreflexia. I have done MRI of head and whole spine and the reports are fine. Rheumatologic test and genetic test for connective tissue are negative too. Muscle enzyme and EMG testing's were fine. But, my problem is getting worse. And all this started after general anesthesia and never stopped. Neurologist says I have hyperreflexia and it is symmetrical. But they do not know the reason for the same. Can this be something neurological? Is there any neurological condition that would affect ligaments? Which tests do I need to do? Please help.

#

• With MRI brain, spine, EMG (electromyography) and genetic workup being normal, it seems unlikely to be neurological.
  • One think to look at would be what anesthetic agents or medicine you received during your surgery. If it has any long term such side effects then please provide the information so that we can look that in depth.

Revert back with the detailed information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I was given Midazolam 2 mg, Propofol 200 mg, Cefazolin 2 mg, Atropine 1 mg, Fentanyl 0.3 mg, Rocuronium 40 mg, Neostigmine 2.5 mg and anesthetic Sevoflurane 63.5 ml. For pain after surgery they gave me Tramadol 200 mg and Metamizole 2.5 mg. I am aware that it has to do something with anesthesia but I do not know what. The feeling is like all the medicines go into ligaments and never get out. As crazy as it sounds.

#

• Joint laxity or hyperextension (exercise that works the lower back) does not seem to be side effect of any of these medications.
  • One possibility could be genetic. And if targeted testing is normal then you probably would need extensive testing or complete examination.
  • Does anyone in your family have similar problem?

Revert back with the information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

No one in our family has that and I was completely healthy before. And the symptoms began immediately after surgery. They tested all genes. And they also say that I am not typical for genetic diseases. I am desperate because of all the pain and disabilities. When I go to orthopedician, he is afraid to examine me. I do not feel like I have some disease but still falling apart. Which specialist to go to?

#

• You can have an evaluation with neuromuscular specialist for hypermobile joints. They can decide if you need a muscle biopsy to look for any connective tissue abnormality.
  • Genetic testing is extensive and depends on how much one evaluate.
  • I do not think you had whole examination test performed. There is a small possibility but you may be susceptible to a medicine with underlying genetic predisposition.

Neuromuscular specialist evaluation

For further information consult a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for answering. Since operation I have something like sleep myoclonus. Just before falling asleep my hands, feet and fingers start to move all of a sudden, that wake me of. It is not like when falling asleep and you think you will fall than you twitch. I did not have any of this before surgery. Should EEG be done? My doctor said this laxity could be related to enzyme. Which specialist should I meet for enzyme test?

#

• You can get EEG - electroencephalogram to confirm what these jerks are and this would help in both psychological and medical management.
  • Neuromuscular or neurometabolic specialist should be of help to you.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full »

Can copper deficiency cause short-term memory loss and paresthesia of the face?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female, and I have severe short-term memory loss (8/30 MMSE). I have paresthesia bilaterally on my face, which has spread from the upper part to around my mouth. I also have startle myoclonus and muscle stiffness. My walking speed has slowed, and the muscles in my...  Read Full »

There is a white mass above my teeth in MRI. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a brain MRI nine months ago. The report came back completely normal. I decided to look at the images last night and I noticed this bright white mass above my teeth. Either the mass is near my teeth or in my sinuses. I am worried that I have a tumor growing and it was looked over...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»