Q. I feel I have cancer even though all my reports are normal. Please help.

I am a 26 years old male. I have had anxiety for six years now and panic attacks from even before. I have been feeling dizzy for a week now all day, a little bit of pressure on my head. I have alternate periods of sweating and chills. I have been to the hospital a few times because I thought I have cancer. And, they did some CT scan and blood tests and said I have anxiety and to avoid self-diagnosing. My question is, can my anxiety and stress make me feel dizzy or is something really wrong with me? I am really scared. Please provide me details about the symptoms of anxiety and stress.

#

I can understand your concern.

• Yes, anxiety could present with symptoms like dizziness, increased sweating, and negative thoughts. Anxiety causes the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and thus present with these symptoms. Sweating is one of the most common symptoms of anxiety.
  • After reading your brief history, it appears that you have an anxiety relating to a health condition. The fear of having some serious illness, researching repeatedly on the internet sources, persisting anxiety despite reassurances, all investigations coming back normal, etc. are the common presenting features of health anxiety or hypochondriasis.
  • CT scan can very well detect most of the serious issues of the brain, and that has come back normal.  So, there is nothing to be worried about. Just relax. You are 26, and this is not the age you get cancer commonly. The anxiety is due to fear of illness or health anxiety.
  • To come out of this anxiety, stop paying attention to minor symptoms you have like a mild headache, dizziness, fainting like symptoms, trembling, sweating, etc. These symptoms are seen more commonly in anxiety. You never had any symptoms like sudden severe headache, seizures, weakness of limbs, etc. You are giving too much attention to mild symptoms which need to be ignored. Also, stop repeatedly searching on internet resources about an illness again and again. Just reassure yourself that you have anxiety only. The symptoms are not due to cancer.

I hope you understood. Thanks and Take care. You are welcome to ask follow-up doubts.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|