Q. Should I take medications for my thyroid problem?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I have thyroid disease. I have done the TSH hormone test and wanted to consult you regarding the medicine.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and lab results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which has low vitamin D levels and iron levels are normal. I am unable to find any thyroid function test results in the attachments. Kindly send me your thyroid test results for interpretation.

You need to take vitamin D capsules 5000 I.U daily for one month.

| 

I have attached the thyroid reports now. I wanted to know how much thyroid medicine should I take based on this report. The available thyroid medicines are Eltroxin and Thyronorm

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your reports, and you have slightly high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and high antibodies.

If you already have hypothyroidism, you must increase the dose of your thyroid medication, which, unfortunately, you have not mentioned how much you are currently taking.

If you are not taking any medication for a long time and are not known to have hypothyroidism, then there is no need to take any medication. These results were done before nine months and are outdated now. You must repeat them and consult again for advice as anything based on these old results will not help.

|