Q. My T3 and T4 levels are high. Can this mean I am pregnant, even though I never had sex before?

Published on Aug 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I recently had my thyroid test done. I am attaching the reports of the same. The note reads that a physiological rise in total T3 and T4 levels are seen in pregnancy and patients on steroids. Does it mean that I am pregnant? I am worried, as I am unmarried and have never had sex before.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your thyroid profile is entirely normal and it is not at all suggestive of pregnancy, so stop worrying about it. This amount of variation is acceptable. The note you read, just says that if someone is pregnant or on steroids, their elevated T3 and T4 levels are not necessarily abnormal.
  • A significant abnormality in your reports is low hemoglobin and severe iron deficiency. Do you have any menstrual irregularities like increased flow? If yes, it needs to be treated.
  • You should increase the consumption of iron-containing foods like green leafy vegetables, dates, jaggery, etc. You will need prolonged iron supplements like tablet Fericip XT (Folic acid and Iron) twice a day. If it causes nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain, you should preferably have it after your meals. Repeat your hemoglobin after four weeks, to look for the response.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Can thyroid problem cause excessive hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I have thyroid issues for the past three years. I got this when I was pregnant. I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg tablet for the last three months. Recently, I have done the thyroid test and my T3 and T4 are normal and TSH is very low. It shows less than 0.01. What does it indicate? First, I w...  Read Full »

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full »

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »