Q. Will giving Cognium syrup to depression patient improve his concentration?

I have a 15-year-old son who was suffering from depression two months ago but is fine now except for having a few weird thoughts. The only issue currently is that he is not studying. He was suggested the following medicines- Cognium syrup and Shine-25 tablets. I plan to give only Cognium syrup, shall I go ahead? Please recommend the appropriate dosage.

#

The Shine 25 mg/d is an anti-depressant. You can start from 1/2 a pill at night (one hour before sleeping), if you do not use it then there will be no anti-depressant effect. The Cognium syrup is brain stimulating syrup, start from 1/2 of the recommended dose on the bottle. Give him a month and then if you see no effects then increase the dose to 1 pill of Shine and full dose of Cognium syrup. Lack of interest in studies could be a sign of depression. You may have to put more time and effort into studying with him.

| 

Why do some students lack interest in studies?

Query: Hi doctor,First time, when I was in the hostel I acted like fainting. So, they took me to the hospital and after checking BP, the doctor said it was low. The next day, I got very high fever and came home. Then after some days, I went hostel as I had kidney pain. I was brought here and had a scan. Th...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

I am not able to focus on studies because of my thoughts. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a student and I like to watch cartoons a lot and read comics. I want to study but I am not able to focus and put my mind to study. Whenever I plan on studying, my thoughts are filled with events of comics. How can I put these thoughts out of my mind?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»