Q. Why do I have increased heart rate and palpitations frequently?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

While taking blood pressure reading, the doctor advised ECG (echocardiography) due to faster heart beats. I also experience palpitations frequently. My blood pressure is 120/90 mm of Hg. The physician suggested me to meet a cardiologist based on the attached ECG. My current medication is tablet Cilnidipine 10 mg twice. I had been taking tablet Bisoprolol but discontinued it a month ago due to shortness of breath.

#

Your reports of ECG (echocardiography) and heart rate are normal. An ECG done during an episode of fast heart rate will tell about cardiac rhythm issue.

Is there any chance that tablet Cilnidipine causes palpitations? My blood pressure is in control with this medicine. Within two to three hours of taking tablet Cilnidipine, I experience faster heart beats and it settles afterwards.

#

Yes, it may cause palpitations and faster heart rates. I suggest that you may switch on to tablet Losartan 50 mg for blood pressure and titrate it upwards to 100 mg if blood pressure do not get controlled with 50 mg. But heart rate in ECG is normal. If it increases with tablet Cilnidipine, then it can be switched.

|