Q. I get the urge to urinate frequently, but urine is clear. Is this urine infection?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 41-year-old male. For the past 30-40 days, I am facing issues with frequent urination. As soon as I drink water after 15-20 minutes, I get the urge to urinate, and the urine is white color or light yellow. Then I consulted the local physician, he gave Ofloxacin 200 for three to four days, but still I am having this issue.

I did a urine test and it was negative. Then for some days, I thought it was due to weather, as this happened to me the last year too. I cannot remember, but during the monsoon or wintertime, I tried to avoid the A/C and was feeling better. But now again it has started and not sitting in A/C is not helping this time. Kindly advise because of anxiety, and stress I am now irritated with this issue.

#

Frequency of urination is related to a few causes small bladder incomplete emptying of bladder, increased amount of urine production, inflammation of bladder, inflammation of the prostate or inflammation of the urethra.

Small bladder is unlikely as it is related to chronic inflammation or radiation and it is not the cause in your case. Incomplete emptying is related mainly due to enlarged prostate but this happens after usually the age of 50 years and it is persistent not recurrent so also unlikely. Bladder stone is also either secondary to obstruction or upper tract stone dropped in bladder which is also unlikely in your situation.

Increase urine production is related to diabetes or medications or even increase fluid intake or increase drinking of coffee, tea, beer on empty stomach and increase of high potassium foods like bananas or even increase spices in food. Inflammation of bladder or urethra is associated with leukocytes in urine which is negative in your report. Inflammation of prostate is possible as sometimes urine is clear.

Tests need to be done is urine for culture immediately after ejaculation and fasting blood sugar and ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter and bladder). Treatment starts from behavioral changes like drinking three liters of water daily. Reducing tea, coffee and spicy food. Reduction of high potassium containing food. Follow up with tests results.

Please record the timing and amount of urine you pass in 24 hours before follow up.

|