Q. Despite ovulation induction, I did not get pregnant. What to do now?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 24 years old. My height is 5'1" and my weight is 61 kg. I am a bit overweight. I have pcod problem. I got married 2 years back and I cannot get pregnant. I had Clomid and hCG injections twice. Both were failed. But, doctor said that my egg growth is good. I have attached my hormonal test report here. Kindly go through it. Currently I am taking Glycomet 500 mg, Livogen-Z and Folic Acid. Can I follow Paleo diet while planning a baby? Thank you and looking forward for your reply.

#

• The hormone reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) submitted are normal and the ultrasound seems fine. But, as there is no detail about the sizes of follicles reached during both cycles of ovulation induction it is difficult to make a comment here.
  • However, other hormone levels like serum testosterone, serum estradiol, DHEAS (dehydroepiandrosterone), 17-OHP (hydroxyprogesterone) levels also need to be done.
  • If you have been forming adequate size follicles 222 x 22mm by midcycle then hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) can help you ovulate but if hCG fails at this size then it is likely that your androgenic hormone levels are higher.
  • I need to know the ultrasound pelvis report to assess the size of the ovaries as well.
  • Also important would be anti-mullerian hormone levels for evaluation.
  • You may continue the medication for pcod (polycystic ovarian disease) which you are already on as they decrease the insulin resistance which hampers ovulation. Also you need to decrease your weight by 6-9 kg.
  • Increased water intake and exercise is what I would advise for aiming weight loss. Paleo diet (diet chiefly with vegetables, fruits and meat excluding dairy products) is not recommended as it would add stress to your body.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

I have attached my follicular study here. Is it recommended to go to gym for weight loss? How can I lose my weight?

#

• I have gone through both the follicular studies (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and in both you had follicle with adequate size which ruptured on time.
  • I believe you were advised timed intercourse.
  • The chances of fertilization cannot be guaranteed by any ovulation induction so you cannot say that you did not get pregnant in spite of ovulation induction.
  • We can assist but cannot ensure fertilization which is a natural procedure after sperms are deposited. None can ensure as to whether sperms will fertilize or they will not.
  • This is possible only in IVF (in vitro fertilization) when a fertilized embryo is placed inside the womb.
  • So, I think the next step in your case should be an ovulation induction and IUI (intrauterine insemination) cycle where sperms can be directly deposited inside your uterus once the rupture of follicle occurs. This shall increase your chances of conception further.

| 

Can ovarian stimulation for IVF be started on the fifth day of menstruation?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if the ovarian stimulation for IVF can be started on the fifth day of the menstruation or is it too late? My doctor said I should start the medication for ovarian stimulation on the fifth day of the menstruation because of her schedule but normally I used to start...  Read Full »

How successful is IUI?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a first IUI one week ago. The egg was to rupture on the same day. Egg size was 22.5 mm and endometrium size 6.6.mm. Also, for the past one month, I am taking oral Susten 300. How much chance is there for successful implantation?  Read Full »

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now