Q. Can insomnia medication cause headache and memory loss?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am a medical student. I have my exams next month. And now I am suffering from insomnia. Two months ago, I consulted a psychiatrist; he prescribed me Lexotanil 3 mg. But after a few weeks, I became resistant to Lexotanil, so I consulted him again. That time, he prescribed me Lexotanil 3 mg and Mirtazapine 15 mg. Now I can sleep for about nine to ten hours. But despite proper sleep, I suffer from headaches and memory loss all the time. And, now I am worried as I have my exams next month.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. You have a major depressive disorder. So I suggest you to follow a few instructions mentioned below.

1. Exercise regularly for 30 to 45 minutes.
  2. Engage yourself in meditation for at least 20 minutes daily.
  3. Eat healthy home-cooked food, and avoid junk food.
  4. Drink enough water.
  5. Spend quality time with friends and family.
  6. Spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills or language or musical instruments.
  7. Get adequate sleep. You need to fix your time for sleep, which means you must fix the time to sleep and awake. Wear loose and comfortable clothes for sleep. Eat light food for dinner at least three hours before sleep. Avoid using electronic gadgets before going to bed.
  8. Avoid tobacco or alcohol, or any other substance abuse.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|