Q. My hemoglobin level is 5. 4 g/dL. What should I do?

Published on Oct 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

I am 33 years old, 6 feet and 3 inches tall, and my weight is 100 kg. My hemoglobin level is 5.4 g/dL, and platelet level is 1.38 lakh/mcL. I have attached the reports. Please help.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

• I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • You have severe iron deficiency anemia, and your hemoglobin is less than six, which makes you a candidate to get admitted to the hospital. First, receive blood followed by evaluation for the cause of low hemoglobin.
  • In males, the most common cause is blood loss from the gut. You will need an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and if needed a colonoscopy test. For the time being, I suggest you start iron supplements. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Query: Hi doctor, I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.  Read Full >>

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your test reports are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no need to worry. HCV (hepatitis C) virus infection is common in those who were transfused with blood or blood products before 25 years. Before 25 years, the transfused blood ...  Read Full

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking supplements regularly then either you do not have iron deficiency anemia, or you are having ongoing blood loss either in periods or stools. The first thing is to get peripheral smear test, and serum iron studies were done. It will let us know whether yo...  Read Full