Q. My hemoglobin level is 5. 4 g/dL. What should I do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

I am 33 years old, 6 feet and 3 inches tall, and my weight is 100 kg. My hemoglobin level is 5.4 g/dL, and platelet level is 1.38 lakh/mcL. I have attached the reports. Please help.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

• I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • You have severe iron deficiency anemia, and your hemoglobin is less than six, which makes you a candidate to get admitted to the hospital. First, receive blood followed by evaluation for the cause of low hemoglobin.
  • In males, the most common cause is blood loss from the gut. You will need an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and if needed a colonoscopy test. For the time being, I suggest you start iron supplements. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Query: Hi doctor, I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.  Read Full »

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full »