Q. Is it safe to take iron supplements for fatigue or can it become toxic?

Answered by Dr. Parth R Goswami and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Iron Supplement or Easy Fatiguability? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I began presenting last fall with some chronic fatigue. The initial blood work showed low iron saturation without anemia. I have attached reports of the same. There were other endocrine-related findings as well. In the course of various endocrine-related treatments and corresponding blood work, I began iron supplementation in the form of ferrous sulfate 143 mg daily. I began this before the blood work was done. So, you can see that that the levels have increased. Subsequent testing, a month later, showed a decline despite continuing treatment. Most recently, you can see that the levels are back up. Note that the ferritin levels began a bit low around 27 ng/mL and had increased to 30 ng/mL.

I have received a wide range of conflicting advice about whether low iron levels in the absence of anemia can cause fatigue. I have also received a range of conflicting advice about whether to continue iron supplementation. One doctor told me to continue taking the iron until the ferritin is up around 50 or so. Another said that would be unnecessary and to discontinue it and wait for three months to re-measure the blood work. It is all quite puzzling. Please help me to understand iron's role, if any, in fatigue in the absence of anemia. And help me to then understand the rationale for treatment or lack thereof. And finally, please give me some sense of when iron toxicity emerges in terms of blood work measurements and at what frequency one needs to check the iron levels during any supplementation.