Q. Why are my ectopic heartbeats felt only on bending and disappears on standing straight?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I have health anxiety, and I am on antidepressants. For the past three weeks, I have been having an ectopic heartbeat while bending, and when I stand straight, the beating stops. I have attached my reports.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from anxiety. You have a history of ectopic beats that are increasing. I saw your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). People may experience their heart is missing a beat or is developing an extra beat that occurs just before a regular beat. Usually, ectopic beats are a normal scenario and not a serious concern, but they may make people anxious.

Ectopic beats may be aggravated by stress or anxiety, smoking, alcohol consumption, caffeine intake, exercises, decreased potassium levels, some recreational drugs, allergy, cold, asthma medications, and some other medications, etc. Some investigations like holter monitor, ECG (electrocardiogram), ECHO (echocardiogram), coronary angiography, and exercise testing may help detect the underlying causes for ectopic beats and then treat them accordingly.

Usually, no treatment is needed. It will go away over time. Lifestyle modifications like avoiding alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking, less caffeine intake, and exercising may help to subside your episode of ectopic beats.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

I did ECHO a few months back and coronary angiography three years. I do not get ectopic beats while exercising or any physical activity. So, can it be due to GERD that I already have?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for joining again. Usually, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) does not cause palpitations directly, but clinical features associated with GERD may trigger palpitations. In some people, a change in position may cause abnormal responses related to the autonomic nervous system like a decrease in blood pressure, increased heart rate or palpitations, dizziness, and lightheadedness. All these symptoms may subside postural changes.

Stress management, controlling anxiety, lifestyle modification, and avoiding the triggering factors mentioned above may help reduce the episode of ectopic beats.

Take care.

|