Q. How to correct my wife's irregular periods?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 16, 2020

We got married 9 years back. My wife has the problem of PCOD. We consulted many doctors and tired for IUI and IVF, but no positive result found. Actually, my wife's menstrual cycle was fine before and after marriage. After our first anniversary, we consulted a doctor for baby. The doctor said that my wife has a hormonal problem. But, when we consulted another doctor, he denied hormonal problem after seeing her blood test and suggested D and C. We followed as he suggested and tried for next one year. But, my wife did not get pregnant. It was observed that my wife's menstrual cycle got disturbed once in a year and she suffered with heavy bleeding for 8 to 10 days. Follicular study was checked by the doctor and it was fine. So, we went for IUI and IVF, but no positive result found. Now, for the last 2 to 2.5 years, her menstrual cycle has got disturbed. Her period is not regular. It comes irregularly with initial spotting and heavy bleeding with clots and many times we need to go to the doctor to stop bleeding. Also, she is getting tired of doing exercise and climbing steps with breathing problems. After checking, the doctors found that she is having a thyroid problem and her hemoglobin is also reduced. I have attached the various reports. I am very much confused. Kindly suggest me the correct treatment. Actually, at this stage I am less bothering about baby. I want my wife to be healthy.

#

• I need to go through the reports first.
  • I do not think that your wife has any major problem. All her problems can be corrected. So, kindly upload the reports.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am attaching the test reports of the last 8 years. For the last 1.5 years, her period comes once in two to three months. She is having heavy bleeding along with clots for 25 to 30 days or more and finally she have to take medicine to stop it. I want to treat this problem first and the baby issue is secondary for me.

#

I went through all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Apart from some polyps in her uterus, which was removed by your doctor there is no much abnormalities in the reports.
  • My advice for her is to stop Ecosprin (Aspirin). This tablet increases the risk of bleeding.
  • Ask your doctor to get your wife started on oral contraceptive pills for two to three months. This will suppress her monthly cycle and hence, stop excess bleeding.
  • Once she becomes totally fine that is after two to three months, then you can think of planning for a baby.
  • The polyps that were removed has been sent for TB PCR test (tuberculosis polymerase chain reaction), but that report is still pending.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am sending the TB PCR report. I think it is negative. Presently, she is not taking any medicine.

#

• I went through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it is negative.
  • As of now a physician is the right person to contact and once her general condition is fine, then you can consult an endocrinologist.

|