Q. My sister is having irregular periods for a year. Please give your valuable opinion.

Dr. Deepti Kurmi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My sister is having irregular periods for a year. She has consulted the doctor but I need a second opinion.

#

Please mention her age and marital status. Please mention the duration of having irregular periods and mention the last date of having periods. Please mention her height and weight. Please mention whether she has any other medical conditions such as diabetes and thyroid.

She is unmarried. She has not got her periods for the past seven months. But now, she had some bleeding. She consulted a doctor and she advised her to take birth control pills. But she is afraid of taking it because of its side effects. The doctor advised her to lose weight and to take pills along with it. She has a lot of stress due to her family history of ovarian cancer. She has a weight of 70 kilograms and a height of five feet three inches.

#

Her weight seems to be high and there is a higher chance for her to get PCOS (polycystic ovarian disease). This is the main reason for having hormonal imbalance and menstrual irregularities. If she takes birth control pills, it helps to regularize her periods. Birth control pills decrease the chances of having ovarian cancer. She seems to have an increased weight of seven kilograms on considering her height. She needs to reduce her weight and irregular periods will not trouble her. She can take birth control pills for a couple of months to regularise her periods and meanwhile she can work on reducing her weight also.

She took pills for a while. After that, she started to have anxiety and depression. How long she needs to take pills? Will periods become irregular after stopping them? Even when she was at her perfect weight, she had some issues due to irregular periods. She is afraid of getting ovarian cancer. Is there a way to prevent it?

#

She needs to do exercise like running, cycling, swimming, and aerobics on a regular basis. She needs to take a healthy diet. She should avoid taking junk foods, spicy foods, oily foods, and bakery products.

She has tried everything. Please help.

#

Even when her weight is normal, she needs to do exercise regularly. If it is not possible every day, then she can do it five days a week. She needs to take pills for three months to have minimum effects. It will be easy for her to reduce weight while taking pills. Without pills, weight reduction seems to be difficult.

Is there any other medicine other than pills?

#

Yes, but they are not effective as pills.

I will try to convince her to take pills. As she has a family history of ovarian cancer, what can be done to avoid it?

#

Taking oral contraceptive pills helps to avoid having cancer. After marriage, she needs to plan for pregnancy early. After the age of 30, she needs to do sonography every year along with a blood test of CA125 (cancer antigen 125).

You have helped me a lot. I appreciate your time and effort.

#

You can ask further queries at any time.

After getting resolved from irregular periods due to pills, can she stop taking them? Will irregular periods occur again?

#

She can take pills for three to four months. She will not have irregular periods again. But she needs to do exercise regularly. She needs to have a healthy lifestyle.

I can understand now. Thanks for helping me a lot.

#

You are always welcome. Revert me at any time.

|