Q. What causes burning sensation of legs in an arthritis patient?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Apr 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 80 years old. She is suffering from arthritis or spondylolysis for more than 30 years. She is receiving treatment from a local orthopedician. She is having NSAID and other general medicines since five years. Her ESR level suddenly rose. From last few months she felt extreme burning sensation at both of her lower legs especially after taking lunch. Since, she is unable to walk properly due to her disease and also due to severe pain, we are facing problem to take her to a doctor like before. I would like to know which medicine will be helpful to control the burning sensation. I am attaching the MRI report for your reference. Please guide.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have gone through the MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your mother is having nerve compression at two levels. Grade I spondylolisthesis is mild and an osteoporotic compression fracture D12 vertebra.
  • Burning pain is due to ischemia of nerve, it can be due to involvement of small blood vessels supplying nerve in diabetes or compression of nerve. Burning pain is a symptom of neurological involvement.
  • Neurological examination is required to look for neurological impairment; if present, then she might require disc decompression surgery to relieve pressure of the nerve roots.
  • Vitamin B12 deficiency is also a cause for peripheral neuropathy and some patients may get some degree of relief with vitamin B12 injection.
  • Caudal injection of corticosteroid is also helpful to alleviate edema around the nerves.
  • In prolonged cases degeneration occurs and no relief with medication is observed.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is clearly acromioclavicular joint injury (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two ligaments which basically keep our ACL joint in position. In type 3 injuries, both ligaments are torn. Now, according to literature, treatment of type 1,2 inju...  Read Full

Cataract Surgery FAQ - Eye Health

Article Overview: No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging, is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. In this article, I try to answer commonly asked questions from cataract patients. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. Here I have dealt with questions that cataract patients commonly ask me. How do I know that I have developed cataract? Almost eve...  Read Article

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You might have nerve compression from cervical spondylitis.Please consult your GP to get an MRI of the neck.For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now