Q. What causes burning sensation of legs in an arthritis patient?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 80 years old. She is suffering from arthritis or spondylolysis for more than 30 years. She is receiving treatment from a local orthopedician. She is having NSAID and other general medicines since five years. Her ESR level suddenly rose. From last few months she felt extreme burning sensation at both of her lower legs especially after taking lunch. Since, she is unable to walk properly due to her disease and also due to severe pain, we are facing problem to take her to a doctor like before. I would like to know which medicine will be helpful to control the burning sensation. I am attaching the MRI report for your reference. Please guide.

#

I have gone through the MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your mother is having nerve compression at two levels. Grade I spondylolisthesis is mild and an osteoporotic compression fracture D12 vertebra.
  • Burning pain is due to ischemia of nerve, it can be due to involvement of small blood vessels supplying nerve in diabetes or compression of nerve. Burning pain is a symptom of neurological involvement.
  • Neurological examination is required to look for neurological impairment; if present, then she might require disc decompression surgery to relieve pressure of the nerve roots.
  • Vitamin B12 deficiency is also a cause for peripheral neuropathy and some patients may get some degree of relief with vitamin B12 injection.
  • Caudal injection of corticosteroid is also helpful to alleviate edema around the nerves.
  • In prolonged cases degeneration occurs and no relief with medication is observed.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|