Q. I feel itchy over my face, neck, chest and arms after sex. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

My whole body gets itchy after sex. Earlier it used to be random, but now it is almost every time. My face, neck, chest, legs, even hands, and arms are involved. I am 29 years old.

#

According to your statement, you are suffering from allergy just after sex. You did not mention here whether your partner uses condoms or not. You may be allergic to the condoms or any added ingredient like spermicide that you or your partner used. Although it is possible to be allergic to any type of condoms. Latex is the main common culprit. Between 1-6% people of your race are allergic or sensitive to latex like you.

Again, spermicide are commonly used in gels, suppositories, and lubricants. Nonoxynol-9 is the most common active ingredient in spermicide is known to cause irritation or allergy to some people especially when used frequently.

By using skin prick test, RAST test, etc, it can be determined which ingredient is responsible for your allergic reaction. Latex causing allergy will be subsided with one to four days. Your partner can use condoms of latex-free ingredients. You can also take anti-allergic medication too.

|