Q. My 2-year-old baby has red itchy bumps all over the body. Please help.

Dr. Sirisha

My 2-year-old baby developed small red pimple like bumps on her body about three weeks ago. The bumps were not itchy and were just on her stomach, back and limbs. We initially thought it was eczema, as we already know she suffers from this or measles, but she is up to date with her vaccinations. We took her to the doctor and they said it was a viral exanthem and it should clear up. Not but a few days later, she spent the day with the babysitter and they said they were out and forgot a diaper so it is possible that her urine was on her longer than normal. Later that night, she started saying her butt was sore and come to find out, she had a cluster of bumps in between her butt cheeks and a little on her labia, which her buttocks were the only part that was sore due to the acidity from her urine.

Bumps also appeared on her face, most exclusively around her mouth (not on lips and not inside the mouth). But later on, she developed bumps on her nose and along her jaw up to her temple and some on her ears. We took her to the ER because it was clear that whatever she had, had progressed for the worst. She saw the doctor and as we were in the hospital room, she started saying she was itchy. She had never been itchy before, but now she was itchy all over and more and more bumps started to appear. Now on the tops and palms of her hands, tops, and soles of her feet and a lot more on her limbs. The only place that does not have bumps as of right now is her neck. We were confused because these bumps were never itchy before, but now she complained about how much it itched. It seemed to itch the most on her feet. The doctor diagnosed her with impetigo and prescribed us Mupirocin ointment and Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid (Augmentin) to take orally. We were also told to give her Benadryl in conjunction with it. It is been a few days and it does not look like there is any progression in ridding her of this infection.

Now she has some bumps that are inflamed and look white which kind of resembles a mosquito bite or something. Other bumps have a tiny black center to them. She ended up scratching her leg and within hours, it became inflamed in white and had tiny black dots in the center (not sure if dried blood or what it is). Then the surrounding area broke out even worse into tiny bumps like an actual rash. So much so, that her whole leg looks just red. Her other limbs started looking this way as well. It definitely looks worse than it ever did before and we are afraid that it is something more serious and the doctors we have been taking her to, keep misdiagnosing her. Please help.

#

Your description gives me two possibilities, one is skin infection which we term as pyoderma, which has a severity range of being mild to very severe. An antibiotic like Augmentin (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid), Mupirocin would definitely help. She also has an itching for which Benadryl is given. Did she have fever anytime?

Second is an allergic rash for which might have gotten infected is another possibility. If there are no pus formation or oozing bumps, we can apply mild steroid creams, which takes care of both itch and rash. And the antibiotic covers the infection. So you can Tryptophan the cream which you were using for eczema before if you have it. I do not know if you can get it over the counter. It needs slightly longer duration of treatment as it has been there for three weeks. Some tests like a swab of the wound can be sent if lesions are not responding to Augmentin. A picture would have been more helpful.

Continue Augmentin, Mupirocin, and Benadryl.
Flutivate (Fluticasone) cream for local application for five days, to be applied as a thin application, but not on the face (only If lesions are not oozing or not having pus).

|