Q. My 10-month-old baby is having irritation in her ears with persistent itching. Please help.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

My 10-month-old baby is facing irritation in her ear with persistent itching.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I would like to know is there fever or any other complaints?

| 

My daughter is facing just ear itching apart from that no issue like fever, cold, or cough. Around the ear canal, some brownish thing are present in a small amount and it is looking like wax.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Is there any discharge from the ear? Is there any foul smell in the ear? Is there past history of such an episode?

| 

No, there is no discharge, foul smell, and no past history of this issue.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Does it interfere with sleep? Does she sleep normally?

Ear itching is normal in children from 4-12 months. But yes, we have to be aware in case there is fever, cold, running nose, cough, decreased appetite, foul smell, and discharge.

To prevent further itching, I advise you to avoid using soap. Avoid using a cotton swab as it will pull the wax further in. Until then, use PCM syrup. May I know the weight of the child?

Instead of using a cotton swab, make use of a cloth dipped in warm water. Wipe the outer area without letting any water enter the canal.

| 

It does not interfere with sleep but sometimes she scratches during sleep but not frequently, and she sleeps normally.

She is 10 months old and her weight is 7.5 kg. She is an active baby and we feed her daal (pulses), cereals, and homemade oats, milk, and taking breastfeed yet. Please advise diet for her.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The weight of the child is appropriate for her age, and I appreciate your effort in feeding the child as per the recommendation. I would like to tell that you are feeding the child in a proper way just my advice is to give milk by spoon and avoid bottle and give milk only after giving the child proper feed and still feels hungry.

As for itching, you can start syrup Phenergan 2.5 ml once before sleep. And kindly look at danger signs as I advised you. The weight of the baby should be three times the birth weight at 1 year and 5 times at 3 years.

| 

I will follow all the advise given by you.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Child Health Paediatrics
#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

| 

What to do for inner ear infection, sinusitis and vertigo?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have an inner ear infection. I went to the doctor last year and he asked me about my symptoms. I told him and he said I had a viral thing in which he gave me antibiotics to take which I did not take. When I got my summary it is said that I had sinusitis. Now until this day m...  Read Full »

How to remove earwax with earbuds?

Query: Hello doctor, I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation i...  Read Full »

Can I use coconut oil for itchy ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I have dryness in the ear and ear itching problem. I had consulted an ENT and he had said that it was a genetic problem. He suggested not to use any ear drops instead advised me to clean it using alcohol or spirit. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same.  Read Full »