Q. Will diet and exercise regress mild concentric LVH?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Jan 18, 2018

I am 31 year old, who has mild concentric left ventricular hypertrophy and grade 2 diastolic dysfunction. I was alcoholic and used to smoke from past five years, but now I quit. I am on Nebivolol 5 mg and Amlodipine 2.5 mg medication. The diastolic blood pressure was on the higher side, so I quit smoking five days back. Now my blood pressure is around 130-135/90-100 mmHg. I do not have kidney damage, my creatine is 0.88, thyroid is normal, and I am not diabetic. I currently take Nebistar SA. I am obese and my total cholesterol is 213. Will mild concentric LVH regress with diet and exercise?

#

• Do not worry, completely stop smoking and alcohol forever. Do not restart again as it will adversely affect your health.
  • I suggest you try taking these following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Tablet Aztor 10 (Atorvastatin), once daily after dinner.
  2. Tablet Cardace 2.5 (Ramipril), one tablet before breakfast, this will bring down your blood pressure. Your target blood pressure should be 120/80 mmHg.
  3. Avoid fried, fatty, salty, and spicy food.

We will review after two months.

Revert after two months to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Thank you so much for replying. Should I discontinue Nebistar SA? Can I exercise and go to the gym?

#

• You continue all your medicines along with that, start the two medicines that I have suggested, after consulting your doctor.
  • You avoid going to the gym, you can do walking. Weight control will help you further.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Thank you so much for the response. Do you think with BP and diet control, can I live for another 20 years? I am 31 now, I am very attached to my son, so please tell me my life expectancy.

#

• You are like my son, and I think you will live for 40 to 50 years more.
  • Yes, regularly check your BP, live a disciplined life, and you will do fine.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I am getting sudden chest and back pain for the past six months. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chest pain, and back pain for the past six months and feeling heavy in the mornings. Feeling like vomiting in the morning, and sometimes, sudden high pain in chest on walking.  Read Full »

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »