Q. What causes nil urine output in a diabetic?

Dr. Tarek Algamal
Published on Aug 22, 2019

My father-in-law is aged 77 years. He has diabetes and blood pressure. His creatinine level is between 3.6 and 3.8. Has high levels of albumin in the urine and high levels of urea (129). He is admitted to the hospital following less to nil urine output. They have placed a catheter and are observing the urine output. However, it is still less. Around 600 ml for 24 hours. For now, the doctors are running an infusion to reduce acidosis. Does he need a dialysis? Is this a case of CKD? If yes, what could his stage of CKD be? What would be the further line of treatment?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Yes, unfortunately this is chronic kidney disease stage 4 to 5. May be the late stages of CKD is rapidly progressive especially in diabetics. If urine output has not been improved after treating the infection and achieving good water balance, I am afraid he might need dialysis.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, my father-in-law had necrosis in his left leg and they have done above-the-knee leg amputation. Doctors are doing hemodialysis and are giving albumin injections to reduce fluid retention in the entire body. I want to know if there is any relation between kidney disease and foot ulcerations, which can lead to an amputation.

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Foot ulcers and leg infections are most probably due to diabetes and not kidney disease. Because there is narrowing in the arteries supplying every part of the body and lower limbs will be most affected by this problem. Any ulcer or infection will not have a good blood supply for rapid healing. That is why these ulcers and wounds are getting infected more and more and it may cause sepsis if untreated well.

Is an ER visit necessary for high creatinine and decreased urine output?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood workup done yesterday in preparation for a chemotherapy port removal. My creatinine level was 1.9 mg/dL at that time, and it has been within normal range before that. I had significantly decreased urination the day before¬†but had a lot of sweating the preceding day. I ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Devendra
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The history of diabetes, hypertension and chemotherapy all have contributed to the raised creatinine level. If you have urine output less than 500 ml persistently, then you may need help early. If you develop breathlessness, severe cough, fever or flank p...  Read Full

Can Toradol alter creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Toradol contains Ketorolac. It is known to cause worsening of kidney functions. But usually what is seen is that, it is the administration for a longer duration which causes the increased probability of renal failure and not a single dose. A famous study reveals that keto...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Ask a Nephrologist Now