Q. I have a lump in the left clavicle, which is semi-hard. Is that anything serious?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 20-year-old male athlete, and I consider myself to be on the healthy side. I have noticed a small lump (about 0.7 inches) under my left clavicle (near my shoulder). The small lump is semi-hard when I press it, and since I lost some weight, it looks even more prominent than before. It has been there for about two years, and I am not sure if it grew or I just lost weight, but it is harder to ignore knowing all the health concerns going on nowadays. I am just wondering if I should worry about it? I had three chest x-rays, which were taken last year.

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern about the lump you have. Do you have any symptoms because of the bump like pain, redness, itching, etc.? Also, please share the images of the x-rays. For now, I would advise you not to worry about it. It could be a swelling containing fat which can easily be excised. But it is difficult to say anything without having a look at it. Kindly share pictures, if possible.

| 

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I did not have any symptoms before and even now. It was never itchy, never bleed, or other possible symptoms. It was just there like a mosquito bite, but it just became more prominent nowadays. That is why I asked. Unfortunately, I do not have last year's x-ray images anymore. Attached to this is the image of the area.

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Thank you for sharing the image.

Being assured, this does not look serious at all. In case it slips in between your fingers, it is most likely to be a lipoma, which is not dangerous and can easily be removed. Or otherwise, it could be an enlarged lymph node that resolves on its own. I am assuming that you do not have any other symptoms like sudden excess weight loss, loss of appetite, recurrent fever, etc. I would advise you to get once a CBC (complete blood count) done to know your hemoglobin status.

| 

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I can pinch and grab it with my fingers, and no other symptoms. I got my blood tested last year as well, and it came out normal.

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

That is great. You have nothing to worry about. Just make changes in your diet (eat a good amount of protein since you are into sports). Eat green leafy vegetables, nuts, boiled beans, and drink lots of water. But to be sure, next time when you visit your doctor for a health checkup, keep in mind the possibility of lipoma and enquire about the same.

|