Q. My 13-month-old baby's report shows lymphocytes 73 and hemoglobin 8. 9. Is there any problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

My 13-month-old baby has neutrophils 23, lymphocytes 73, WBC 6100, and hemoglobin level is 8.9. Is there any worry?

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

Following is my opinion for your asked question regarding CBC (complete blood count) of your child. The lymphocyte count are usually high in children. So you may need not to worry about lymphocytes count. But the hemoglobin level of your child is definitely low suggestive of anemia. It could be nutritional anemia or hemolytic anemia like cause.

I suggest you do further work up for anemia with serum ferritin, serum iron, peripheral smear examination, and USG abdomen. You can consult a nearby pediatrician once for physical examination. His PCV (packed cell volume) and MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is low, so most probably he is having iron deficiency anemia. According to the cause specific treatment is guided.

| 

He was having hemoglobin 6.3 before two months and for the last two months, he is on iron supplements and iron diet too but did not help much. He is now having 8.9 hemoglobin. Why is he taking too long to recover?

Hematology Pathology
#

Following is my further opinion for your asked question.

Usually, with iron supplement, his hemoglobin should have been reached to above 10 gm. You can continue the iron supplement if your doctor agrees. I suggest you investigate with stool examination to check for the presence of occult blood and parasite. Sometimes parasite infestation might be responsible for the decreased absorption of iron from the intestine.

If occult blood present then minor bleeding from the intestine might be responsible for persistent low hemoglobin. His serum ferritin, peripheral smear examination, serum iron, bilirubin and LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase) can be done to decide the type of anemia. If iron supplement did not work then injection of iron can be given. You should discuss the management plan with your doctor.

You can revert back with the above reports if already done or else you can plan necessary investigation as per your doctor advice.

| 

Can raw rice addiction result in low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from low hemoglobin levels. I have attached my laboratory test report. I have a habit of eating raw rice, which I am suspecting as the reason for this low count. Kindly have a look and prescribe medicines to increase my hemoglobin levels. I am currently taking Orofer XT one...  Read Full »

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now