Q. I have a low platelet count but no bleeding symptoms. Could you help me?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I have a low platelet count, but my hemoglobin level is normal. The platelet count was checked electronically.

I had papaya extract medication for 12 days still the count remains the same. Please help me.

#

Your platelet count is low. It would be best if you ruled out the underlying cause for that.

You can investigate with the following investigations for further workup.

1) Dengue NS 1 and IgM (immunoglobulin M) ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay).

2) Urea, creatinine to check for kidney problems.

3) Peripheral blood smear and LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) estimation.

Kindly provide the history of any drug intake if present. Meanwhile, drink lots of water and papaya extract syrup like Caripill. If any bleeding occurs, then seek medical care immediately.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. After that, I did a complete test, and everything was normal a month ago. Only the platelet count was low. Also, after four months, the sugar level is normal. I have diabetic medications such as Velin M Sr 500mg plus, Glycron 60 XR, discontinued from 45 days, and multivitamin tablet. Initially, due to high sugar, I had Roseday.

I do not have any other symptoms for decreased platelet count. Also, my wound heals normally. I do exercise and use to play cricket before the lockdown was not feeling any fatigue. I have attached my reports along with this.

Please help me.

#

You are not under any medication at present, and you do not have any other symptoms. Hence it could not be drug-induced low platelet count. Diabetes is not related to low platelet count. The attached report (attachments removed to protect patient's identity) taken three months back is normal except for SGPT (serum glutamic-pyruvic transaminase). It would help if you took more water and papaya leaf extract syrup.

I suggest you repeat your platelet count after one week. Suppose there is no bleeding, then no need to worry. USG (ultrasonography) abdomen can be done to check for spleen enlargement. An enlarged spleen can also be a reason for low platelet count. If the platelet count is still low after one week, You can consult an internal medicine specialist doctor or hematologist for a physical examination.

Revert with repeat report of platelets if you do.

|