Q. After taking medicine, my abdomen problem became worse. Please advise.

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2021

In the past ten days, I have a problem of sudden lower abdominal pain after eating and urgency to go to the bathroom. The stools are semi-solid and not loose motions. The abdominal pain gets resolved once I had a bowel movement. During these periods, I go to the bathroom five to six times a day. I visited a gastroenterologist and he prescribed me a combination of Pantoprazole and Levosulpiride, Rifaximine 200 mg and Mebeverine SR for seven days. Previously, I took Nor Metrogyl for four days. Initially for two days, I had less pain. But, the abdominal pain is constant most of the time and more frequent solid stools. Now, the condition became worse than before. What could be the problem?

#

We are here to help you.

• You seem to be suffering from acid peptic disease along with lower gastrointestinal tract infection. You have taken the right treatment.
  • In such case, I prefer to give my patients a good combination like Normaxin RT (combination of Ranitidine, Dicyclomine, Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium bromide) twice daily for a week.
  • However, I would also recommend an ultrasound of the abdomen to help you better. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Either ultrasound or CT scan of the abdomen, which one is better?

#

• Initial investigation of choice is an ultrasound of the abdomen as it does not carry any radiation exposure.
  • If there is inconclusive report in ultrasound, then only we go to CT abdomen.

For further doubts consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|