Q. I have a lump on the back of my head. What treatment should I get?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2021

I am 26 years old. I am a student and under loads of stress. I smoke cigarettes and drink on occasion. I have a lump underneath the skin on the back of my head. Many years ago, I was in the hospital for skull fracture on the back of my head. I have had serious migraines lately and get dizzy from abrupt standing occasionally. Please tell me how I should go about getting treatment.

#

• First, is this lump present since the time of fracture? Is it hard, bony or soft and mobile?
  • This lump could be an abnormal bony fusion. Also, the other common cause is a sebaceous cyst and lipoma. All are a benign condition.
  • You should once get this examined by your GP, and you will need one x-ray of the skull. Accordingly, GP will refer you to surgeon or orthopedician depending upon the nature of the swelling.
  • Secondly, for your migraine, first is it a migraine only? Is it half-sided, throbbing headache associated with nausea, vomiting, etc? If yes, then you should have strong coffee and Paracetamol 500 mg whenever needed.
  • If it does not respond, then get prescribed tablet Sumatriptan 50 mg at the onset of a headache. If the frequency of a headache is more say twice in a week, then you need to be on preventive medicine like tablet Ciplar LA 20 mg (Propranolol) once a day. It has to be continued for a long time.
  • Having dizziness with sudden movements is normal. You need to increase the fluid intake and avoid dehydration and fasting for a long time. Also behavioral modification like avoid activities which will precipitate your symptoms.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|