Q. What causes red lump under armpit?

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat
Published on Aug 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2019

Is my armpit lump something serious? Slightly red lump under left armpit. Appeared approximately two weeks ago, slowly went away and almost disappeared, now it came back again. Only a tiny amount of pain when pressing. Feels a bit like a small hard pea. No fever, no weightloss, but slightly tired at times. I have added pictures.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

I have read your query carefully, I have seen pictures also (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I just want to tell you that you need not worry about that lump. The lump may be a sebaceous cyst, which is very common and sometimes disappeared automatically. If it appears again then you can contact me. I will examine that and if it pains and burns in armpit then take these following medicines:

1. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg if only there is a pain.

2. Tablet Amoxyclav 625 mg once daily for three days.

Please tell me one more thing if this lump is movable or not, I mean it is fixed or can be repositioned.

Thank you for the reply and for taking the time with my question. It seems quite fixed and hard under the skin and is only painful if I press on it.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

Thanks for the reply. Your armpit lump is fixed, if it reappears then you should go for FNAC test to exclude any other complications.

It is still present as shown in the picture I have added, which I took today. But it almost completely went away four days ago. But is now back again like in the picture shown. Is that normal behavior for cancerous types? I will have a doctor look at it today.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

I have seen your picture very carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is not of cancerous type, but to be sure please go for FNAC test. It will confirm about cancerous growth. But I am sure it is normal sebaceous cyst. So, do not worry. You are fine and take medicines accordingly.

How can the little bump on my upper lip corner be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a little bump on the upper lip corner which is like a small pimple for about eight to 10 months. It has been painless until over the past few days where there is a mild vague pain around the area. Please suggest if it is something that I need to be worried about?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This could be a sebaceous cyst or a hypertrophic Fordyce spot or trichoepithelioma. A physical and histopathological examination is required to confirm the diagnosis and a surgical excision is the only treatment of choice.  Good thing is that most of them are benign...  Read Full

How long can I take Ibuprofen for pain from broken ribs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 65 year old female, and I fell 10 days back and broke one or two ribs. The only thing that brings any relief is Ibuprofen 800 mg. I need to know how often and for how long can I take Ibuprofen? I tried Oxycodone 10 mg, but it does not work that well. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Ibuprofen is a strong painkiller, it should not often be taken, as it has many side effects like gastritis, liver and kidney damage. But in initial days of pain following rib fracture, pain is actually very severe. I suggest you try doing the following: Tram...  Read Full

Is the lump on my back fat or a tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a knot or lump on my upper back just in the middle and little right side of the back. It can be felt when I get a massage. Can this be dangerous? The doctor once told me seven years back that it might be fat. What test can make sure that it is not a serious kind of tumor?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a lipoma, which is a benign fat mass with a soft consistency. Lipoma is completely benign with no complications. A biopsy is the most confirmative method. Surgical assessm...  Read Full