Q. What causes red lump under armpit?

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Is my armpit lump something serious? Slightly red lump under left armpit. Appeared approximately two weeks ago, slowly went away and almost disappeared, now it came back again. Only a tiny amount of pain when pressing. Feels a bit like a small hard pea. No fever, no weightloss, but slightly tired at times. I have added pictures.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

I have read your query carefully, I have seen pictures also (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I just want to tell you that you need not worry about that lump. The lump may be a sebaceous cyst, which is very common and sometimes disappeared automatically. If it appears again then you can contact me. I will examine that and if it pains and burns in armpit then take these following medicines:

1. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg if only there is a pain.

2. Tablet Amoxyclav 625 mg once daily for three days.

Please tell me one more thing if this lump is movable or not, I mean it is fixed or can be repositioned.

| 

Thank you for the reply and for taking the time with my question. It seems quite fixed and hard under the skin and is only painful if I press on it.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

Thanks for the reply. Your armpit lump is fixed, if it reappears then you should go for FNAC test to exclude any other complications.

| 

It is still present as shown in the picture I have added, which I took today. But it almost completely went away four days ago. But is now back again like in the picture shown. Is that normal behavior for cancerous types? I will have a doctor look at it today.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine
#

I have seen your picture very carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is not of cancerous type, but to be sure please go for FNAC test. It will confirm about cancerous growth. But I am sure it is normal sebaceous cyst. So, do not worry. You are fine and take medicines accordingly.

|