Q. I am a 25 year old female. My arms look masculine. Please help me a way out of this.

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

I am a 25 year old female. I am facing a problem of masculine looking arms. I am not into any kind of strength training exercises but I do not know why my muscles look very prominent. My protein intake is also once or twice a week. I am not able to wear any sleeveless tops or short sleeves tops because of my masculine arms. Please help me a way out of this. It is fine if my arms look fat but, I just do not want my muscle to be seen like this prominently. I have attached a picture of my arms.

#

I have seen your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). 

• Our arm has many muscles, the main muscles in our upper arm needs to apparently big so that we can lift things.
  • I think your arms are flabby and not toned. There are a lot of muscle toning arm exercises. 
  • To help with the flabbiness, try stretching exercises as they really work as a magic. This will tone up the muscles that hold everything in, without building up the main ones.
  • Stretch your arms as high above your head as you can. Now do the same sideways. Do that three or four times a day and you should see some improvement.
  • To be honest, apart from stretching exercises there is nothing much one can do to reduce the flabbiness.
  • Also do not cut down your protein intake, as your body needs protein for proper body function. Instead reduce the carbohydrates and fats intake. 
  • Another thing is that some people have the body type with prominent arms and shoulder muscles, so they can definitely reduce or shape it by toning the arms.
  • Other category of people are those who do heavy weight lift to increase their muscle mass. I do not think you do heavy weight lift  and so it is your body type.
  • So, I advise you to start doing toning exercises.

Consult a fitness expert online for further follow up -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

Hello doctor, thanks for your reply.

Recently I have put on weight and because of this, I guess I am seeing this muscle more prominent. I used to look very lean since childhood and never had this problem then. Do you think I should take some tablets? Can I see feminine looking arms for myself sooner by doing exercises?

#

• Yes, due to weight gain you are seeing this more prominent muscles.
  • Unfortunately there is no medication for reducing muscles.
  • Stretching exercises will reduce the muscles, you are not going to lift weights and it will be a gradual process. 
  • Decrease your daily caloric intake since excess calories overall can lead to weight gain all over your body, including your arms. 
  • Aerobic exercise helps not to build the muscles, so stick to aerobic exercises and stretching.
  • Also take a lot of fruits like apple, pear, and seasonal fruits. Avoid eating too many mangoes and banana.

Thanks a lot doctor.

#

For further follow up, revert back to a fitness expert online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

|