Q. Had Medroxyprogesterone after a negative scan and now I am getting positive UPT test. How?

Published on Dec 02, 2018

I am 26 years old. I went to my PCP for a pregnancy test and it was positive. Had an ultrasound a few days later and the technician said he did not see pregnancy in my uterus so he performed a transvaginal ultrasound to see if I was pregnant in my uterus but I was not. I took a pregnancy test there it was negative. I went back to my PCP 10 days later for blood work to see if my hormone levels are going up or down. Two days later she told me I did not need to come back in for a second bloodwork because I definitely was not pregnant. So she prescribed me Medroxyprogesterone 5 mg for 10 days to restart my cycle because I still have not. I am on day 7 and I took a pregnancy test yesterday night and it gave a visible faint line positive result. So I tested again this morning and I still have a positive result. Could this be because of the Medroxyprogesterone?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? You are about 14 weeks gestation, based on your last menstrual period. At this size, the embryo is easily visible. The blood test will also have high hormonal levels. Pregnancy hormone detected by scan and urine is serum beta hCG. If the fetus is healthy, the levels of this hormone increases exponentially. So if it is 2 Iunits today, in 48 hours it will be 4 IU, and so on. So by 14 weeks, the levels should be very high and easily seen on the scan. Mostly doctor noted a very low level of this hormone. It takes a few weeks for this level to fall to below detectable levels. If you want to still confirm the health of the baby, ask the doctor for the beta hCG result. After 48 hours of the test, check the same beta hCG. If the embryo is healthy, the level of hCG will double. If the baby is unhealthy, this level will fall or rise, will be less than double. So, Medroxyprogestrone acetate will not cause pregnancy hormone reaction, so this hormone is not causing pregnancy hormones. If your doctor feels that levels are very low. I would advise you to wait for 10 to 14 days. You will have periods, if the baby is not there.

| 

My wife underwent ICSI. Please go through the reports and provide your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has undergone ICSI three-day embryo transfer. One cell is compact grade and others are grade-B. She got pregnant successfully and the values were at DPT 14, HCG 577 and progesterone level 23 and DPT 16, HCG 1577 and progesterone level 23. Also, she had undergone TVS, and spo...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test shows negative, shall I take medicine to induce periods?

Query: Hi doctor,I got my last period before three months. I have not gotten my periods ever since. I had protected intercourse twice before two months. However, I have no symptom and all the pregnancy tests are negative. Also, I have missed my period the same way, even before once and my cycle is gener...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now