Q. My son gets popping sound in knee. Does his MRI indicate any need for surgery?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Chawla and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Meniscal Tear or Arthroscopy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My son aged 7 has a snapping sound from the left knee lately without complaining of any pain. He had an MRI done for his left knee. The MRI opinion is as follows: There is a discoid lateral meniscus, significant swelling of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus and intrameniscal abnormal signal intensity indicating a degenerative tear. Does it mean that a surgery is needed to correct this? If yes, then should surgery be done soon? Is there any other possible treatment to avoid surgery? Thank you.