Q. My son gets popping sound in knee. Does his MRI indicate any need for surgery?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Dec 28, 2016

My son aged 7 has a snapping sound from the left knee lately without complaining of any pain. He had an MRI done for his left knee. The MRI opinion is as follows: There is a discoid lateral meniscus, significant swelling of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus and intrameniscal abnormal signal intensity indicating a degenerative tear. Does it mean that a surgery is needed to correct this? If yes, then should surgery be done soon? Is there any other possible treatment to avoid surgery? Thank you.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• I understand your concern regarding surgical management and also, because of the fact there is no pain.
  • Surgical management is indicated in case of symptomatic discoid meniscus and a popping or snapping sound is an indication for surgery. It can be managed by arthroscopic surgery with minimal incision.
  • Surgery will be required sooner or later. The earlier the surgery is carried out for a symptomatic discoid meniscus, the better it is for the joint.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Is using one crutch 75 % or 50 % weight bearing after a hip arthroscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am down to one crutch after a hip arthroscopy. I am supposed to be at 75 % weight bearing. Is using one crutch 75 % or 50 % weight bearing. Also, on day four, I am supposed to be at 100 % weight bearing with one crutch. How is that possible?  Read Full »

Is it normal to have swelling in knee after four months of ACL meniscus surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an ACL meniscus repair surgery four months ago. I still have some swelling in my knee and still feel weakness in my leg. Is that normal? Can I run now? What to do?  Read Full »

How to manage a tear in the knee joint?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small tear in the knee joint, but the doctor advised me for arthroscopy. How to manage this problem? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now