Q. I have microscopic hematuria. Is this curable?

Answered by
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a software professional. I work in shifts from 2 PM to 11:30 PM. Recently, I got a complete health check-up done and found to have microscopic hematuria. Before this health check-up, I used to take medicines for headaches (Saridon and Headset tablets). I used to drink alcohol thrice weekly. Now sometimes I get headaches, feel dizzy, and have gastric problems like burning sensation in the stomach. I do not have any other problems like pain in the abdomen, back pain, etc. Is this a severe threat to my health or kidneys? Is this curable? What type of diet do I need to follow? Please give your valuable advice.



Welcome to

I have gone through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and except for the microscopic hematuria, all your reports are fine and there is nothing to worry about.

Regarding the microscopic hematuria, it could be due to subclinical UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), which happens due to poor hygiene or due to inadequate drinking of water. Since you are a working professional, I presume you do not get much time to care about your diet and general things such as drinking enough water on time. Due to this, the urine keeps turning acidic and makes it a good environment for the local microbial flora to grow and cause UTI. It is not at all a threat as of now. UTI in men can be difficult to treat with because of resistance of organisms to many antibiotics. However, I suggest you try doing the following things:

  1. Make sure you drink at least 4 liters of water every day and keep yourself hydrated.
  2. I will also advise a course of tablet Co-trimoxazole (Septra-DS) twice daily for seven days.
  3. Since you have minor gastric discomfort, a course of tablet Omeprazole 20 mg once daily before breakfast for two weeks will be helpful.
  4. Repeat urine test and RFT (Renal Function Test) after two weeks and send me the reports.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicines after their consent. Till then take the medicines and most importantly drink enough water. Take care.

Thank you very much doctor,

I will follow your advice and get back to you after a week.



Welcome back to

Hope you recover and stay healthy!!

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

I am unable to control urine ... First get a complete urine examination done along with urine culture ... Wait for ...   Read full

Can I take Omeprazole for mild gastritis-like symptoms?

Hi doctor, I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now ... I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why ...   Read full

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nephrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.