Q. I have microscopic hematuria. Is this curable?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2018

I am a software professional. I work in shifts from 2 PM to 11:30 PM. Recently, I got a complete health check-up done and found to have microscopic hematuria. Before this health check-up, I used to take medicines for headaches (Saridon and Headset tablets). I used to drink alcohol thrice weekly. Now sometimes I get headaches, feel dizzy, and have gastric problems like burning sensation in the stomach. I do not have any other problems like pain in the abdomen, back pain, etc. Is this a severe threat to my health or kidneys? Is this curable? What type of diet do I need to follow? Please give your valuable advice.

#

I have gone through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and except for the microscopic hematuria, all your reports are fine and there is nothing to worry about.

Regarding the microscopic hematuria, it could be due to subclinical UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), which happens due to poor hygiene or due to inadequate drinking of water. Since you are a working professional, I presume you do not get much time to care about your diet and general things such as drinking enough water on time. Due to this, the urine keeps turning acidic and makes it a good environment for the local microbial flora to grow and cause UTI. It is not at all a threat as of now. UTI in men can be difficult to treat with because of resistance of organisms to many antibiotics. However, I suggest you try doing the following things:

1. Make sure you drink at least 4 liters of water every day and keep yourself hydrated.
  2. I will also advise a course of tablet Co-trimoxazole (Septra-DS) twice daily for seven days.
  3. Since you have minor gastric discomfort, a course of tablet Omeprazole 20 mg once daily before breakfast for two weeks will be helpful.
  4. Repeat urine test and RFT (Renal Function Test) after two weeks and send me the reports.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicines after their consent. Till then take the medicines and most importantly drink enough water. Take care.

Thank you very much doctor,

I will follow your advice and get back to you after a week.

#

Hope you recover and stay healthy!!

|