Q. What is the treatment for moles under the nails?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

I have moles under the nails of each of my big toes. They appeared over the last months, but I do not remember exactly when. The one on my left toe is a round dot in addition to a diagonal line next to it and that goes to the right edge of my nail, while the one on my right toe is just a round dot. The nails themselves are also somewhat cracked and do not look good. I am wondering if there could be cause for concern. I am sending a photo of my toe. Please help me.

#

• Is there any pain? Any change in placement noticed as the nail grows?

Revert back with answers to the above questions to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

There is no pain. I have not been observing the nails at all. Unfortunately, I only vaguely noticed these spots and did not worry about them until I read about toenail melanomas on the internet recently.

#

• At this stage nothing is needed (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First of all you need to differentiate nevus with a similar entity of hematoma.
  • So, mark the outer edge of that black area of the nail with a shaving blade and observe it for a few weeks.
  • If the marked outer edge has moved beyond the outer edge of the black area, then it is nevus, otherwise it is a hematoma.
  • The principle is as nail grows hematoma will also move with it, but nevus will remain in the same position.
  • Secondly, you are suffering from onychomycosis. I suggest you to apply Amorolfine nail lacquer three times in a week.
  • Also, I suggest capsule Sporanox (Itraconazole) 100 mg twice daily for consecutive seven days in a month for three months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.
  • This is known as pulse dosing, taking medicine for 7 days and then a medicine free period of 21 days in a month.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|