Q. What causes lump on tonsil?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Lump on tonsil for the past three years. Full left ear feeling. Been to ENT twice.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It looks like a mucocele or cyst (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do you have any throat complaints? Throat pain? Do you smoke?

| 

Yes, a bit of a sore throat. I have also had reflux in the past. My left ear feels like it is tough to pop. Like a dull mild fullness. ENT said I have some TMJ symptoms. Have had multi-MRI with contrast. The lump feels hard like a stone. Ex-smoker, I was social smoker mostly for about 10 years. I drank alcohol back then also. The other lump is in the back of throat. I have small hard lump in neck, but doctors say it is just a lymph node. I have never felt it before. They did U/S. The lump on my tonsil just makes me anxious because it is hard and I can always feel it.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I went through the pictures. You do not have any worrisome problem. It is not cancer or any sort of growth. The lumps that you see on the back of throat are normal lymph granules. We call those posterior pharyngeal wall granules. In you, however, these granules are slightly congested and edematous. The lumps you see over the tonsils are also normal structures. It shows multiple crypts and clefts.

You are having the symptoms of soreness of throat because these areas of your throat are congested and hypertrophied now. The most probable reason is acid reflux and allergy. You need some dietary and lifestyle changes along with some medicines which I shall suggest. Other than that there is nothing to worry.

Inflammation of the throat and the back of the nose can result in ear fullness due to the block of eustachian tube. The medicines I suggest will help you get rid of the ear fullness too. I suggest that you take tablet Neksium 40, 1 tablet before breakfast x 10 days, tablet Mondeslor, 1 tablet in the evening daily x 10 days, Fluticone furoate nasal spray (Avamys 27.5 mcg) 2 puffs in each nostril twice daily x 15 days.

Avoid smokes and drinks, eat less spicy and less oily foods, drink plenty of water, exercise well, do not drink a lot of water immediately after a meal, do not lie down immediately after a meal. Let us know if you have any doubts. Be assured that your throat does not show any worrisome sign. When you revert back to me, please upload your MRI report too. That will be helpful.

|