Q. The muscles of my left leg get pulled when I move my pelvis. Please help.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

I am a regular runner and have recently been trying out a new programme running five days per week, with lots of gentle short runs. I have had a few running related injuries in the past year. I got shin splints and peroneal tendonitis on the outside of my left foot for several months,  last year. I had physiotherapy for the tendonitis. The physiotherapist discovered that my left hip flexor is weak and the hamstring is too tight on that side, which was causing the foot issues.

Last weekend, I seem to have pulled a muscle in my left hip. I did a steep trail run and feel like it was on the downhill that I triggered the injury. It was hurting when I tilted my pelvis forwards. I tried swimming, but the side-to-side tilt of the pelvis caused little sharp pains what felt like inside my pelvis. The sharp pain has now gone, but all of the muscles in my lower back, mainly on the left, but also on the right are now tensing up causing me discomfort. Any ideas about this? I have done a bit of self-diagnosis and it sounds like one of the muscles that do balancing on the hip.

#

• It is very difficult to be precise without examining you. You recent injury could be an iliopsoas strain or a rectus femoris strain from the hill run. Is the pain deep within the groin? Is the movement of getting up from a sitting position uncomfortable? Is there any clicking on the hip?
  • You need to take a course of anti-inflammatories as your body is trying to protect something by tensing up the muscles. Your best bet is to see a sports physiotherapist, who should be able to guide you further on this.

If you have questions after seeing the physiotherapist, then please let me know, as I can rely on the physiotherapist's examination findings to guide me

Revert with more information to a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Thank you very much for your response. The pain was originally in the pelvic area to the left hand side. It was above the hip, so it did not hurt when I lifted my leg at all. It hurts on extension of my leg backwards, if I do a leg swing, and if I tilt my pelvis forward. It feels a bit like it is linked to the lower abs, rather than to the leg muscles.

I have been taking anti-inflammatories and the sharp pain seems to have gone now, but the tension in the rest of my lower back is now causing more problems. Is it important to fully rest, or whether I should try to move it? I cycled to work this morning, which just made the back tense, but not sore. And when is it safe to continue running?

#

• As your symptoms are persisting though not at the same place or intensity when it started, you still need to be on NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). 2 to 3 weeks is safe duration.
  • You should do gentle stretches of the back and limit yourself to the point of pain and no further.
  • The process of tilting your pelvis forward can stretch your iliopsoas. I am going back to it because Iliopsoas originates from the lumbar spine and inserts on the lesser trochanter and helps me explain both the acute and delayed phase of pain and the spam you are feeling in the back.
  • I will still rest the limb, no running, you can cycle if you can tolerate it. How much do you cycle for work and any uphill climb? See a physiotherapist for myofascial release and ice massages.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|