Q. Do all my symptoms point to ALS or MS, or is my anxiety the cause?

Dr. Upendra K Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2020

Hi, I’m a 37 year old male. I’ve been experiencing some symptoms that I’m worried about. I’m mostly concerned about ALS and MS. The symptoms are as follows:

12 months ago, started having pain in left thumb when applying force with it, but not when at rest or when just moving it. Not sure if its muscle or joint. Also had a similar issue with right index finger, which started around the same time. The thumb issue has persisted, but the finger pain has gone away within the past few months. No weakness, though.

11 months ago, started having an intermittent twitch in right bicep. Would happen for a few seconds several times a day. Also have noticed other widespread intermittent twitching in arms, hands, eyelid, lips, chest, legs, calves. But the bicep, and one in my finger were persistent. Those two have been gone for the last 6 months, though.

Within the past 12 months, I have noticed leakage of a few drops of urine after I urinate. This has persisted.

I have also noticed that my wrists feel an electric shock sensation if bumped in just the right spot on the underside. More so on the right wrist. No weakness, though.

About 4 months ago, I overexerted my arms while weedeating a yard. My arms were sore for a while. Since then, I my arms have soemtimes felt a bit stiff or sore. No weakness, though.

I have been so scared that this is ALS or maybe MS. I am wondering if I’m so scared that it has caused some of these symptoms to occur in my mind when they arent that unusual. I haven’t noticed any weakness anywhere at all.

#

Hi, Dr. Upendra here

With the given complaints there is no question of either MS or ALS

Let me explain one by one 1. No fasciculations are seen in MS, they are seen in ALS but they are accompanied by weakness and loss of muscle mass, and they will not subside spontaneously. 2. Pain in fingers on applying pressure is actually tenderness, they are neither seen in MS nor ALS. 3. Leakage of few drops of urine is normal thing, bladder bowel control are affected in the end stage of these two diseases 4. median nerve passes underside of the wrist so if you bump this area you might get electric shock sensation, it can be seen in carpal tunnel syndrome but not in MS or ALS

| 

So, do all of these symptoms point to anything? Perhaps my anxiety is causing it? What could the arm achyness/stiffness be?

#

All these symptoms are non specific, definitely there is anxiety which is troubling you, you must check for serum electrolytes, blood sugar, thyroid, calcium and vitamin D Level achyness seems to be due to overstretching of ligaments of arms, you can take painkillers such as Aceclofenace for 5 days

| 

I’ve also experienced some tingling in my left hand a couple of times over the last week, and I’ve woken up with tingling hands several times over the past couple of weeks. Could those, along with the achyness and urinary issues point to MS?

#

No, i will not consider MS, this can be carpal tunnel syndrome, please get evaluated by nerve conduction study, or get physical examination done by local physician/ neurologist. thank you

| 

Are you saying you don’t think that points to MS, or that you don’t want to discuss that? If you don’t think it points to MS, could you tell me what your logic is?

#

My friend, these are not symptoms of MS, your symptoms are of peripheral nervous system, while MS is the disorder of central nervous system, where you will have focal deficits, slowness of movements, ataxia, tremors, loss of sensations etc

|