Q. Is the heart muscle becoming too weak?

Answered by Dr. Ritendra Nath Talapatra and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Myocardial Infarction or Ecg? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My 59 year old father has hypertension from the past nine years and acidity problem. He got an acute MI last month. Prior to this, from past 10 days, he was suffering from a low blood pressure and our family doctor asked him to stop the BP tablet for a few days. At morning 5 AM, he got high acidity and chest pain, but we thought it was acidity and gave him Rantac and other home remedies. But, he started sweating and got severe pain in the chest. We took him to a nearby hospital and the doctor immediately did the angiography and found the main coronary artery was 100 % blocked which had to be stented immediately. But, he said it is very risky as you have reached late. The damage has already happened. He processed with the angioplasty. There were a total of three blockages on the left side. Two were done via balloon and the 100 % blockage one was stented. Post the surgery, on the next day, my dad started feeling high acidity, big burps, and heaviness in the chest and his heart rate was very high. From then, we were in the hospital for ten days until his heart rate and BP and other things got normal. He had little breathlessness also.

Post returning home, he felt very weak and again a week later, he got readmitted for low blood pressure as my dad fainted at home and we checked the BP was very low and hence we got him to the hospital. The doctors admitted him to the ICCU and started giving fluids to bring up his BP. The doctors said low BP was due to dehydration as my father had gone for motions thrice that particular morning and since the intake of fluids is restricted to 1.5 liters max.

Previous medication when we got discharged: Cardivas, Ivabrad, Ecosprin, Brilinta, Restyl for sleep and now since my dad complained of breathlessness, they have changed the medication and now they have discontinued Cardivas completely and increased the dose of Ivabrad and asked to stop Brilinta and take Prax 10 mg. My query is should one discontinue Cardivas abruptly in between? Also, his heart rate is very fluctuating and at times his respiratory rate also reaches 25 to 30 at times. And his LVEF on the day of discharge was 30 to 35 % but on the day when he got readmitted his LVEF was 25 to 30 %. Is the heart muscle becoming too weak? What could be the reason for the same? Please advice.