Q. My kid's eyeball size is quite big. What could it be?

Answered by
Dr. Dada Peer K
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jul 17, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

  • Yesterday we had a consultation with an eye doctor for my kid.
  • After diagnosis the doctor said "kid's eyeball size is quite big".
  • He also said left and right eye have  "-4" power (not cylindrical) and retina is good.
  • He also added that, at this stage we cannot do any thing and asked us to come back after 6 months.
  • He said the power may go tentatively up to "-6".
  • Above all he said that spectacles is also optional.
  • Please suggest me what to do now, as I do not want my kid's eye power even more.
  • Do we have any other approaches to control this?
  • Will swinging of eyes be controlled on its own after some time?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history.

  • It seems from the history that your kid is having myopia (short sight).
  • In myopia the eyeball size will be larger and no need to be worried about it.
  • Since his retina is good he will do well.
  • This is a commonly seen problem in children.
  • This requires treatment with spectacles now.
  • This myopia is known to increase as the age increases.
  • The progression of myopia can be reduced by wearing of spectacles, increased intake of vitamin A rich foods like green leafy vegetables and carrot.
  • The presence of swinging movement indicates presence of nystagmus (involuntary eye movement resulting in reduced vision) and this also requires evaluation.
  • Hence I advice you to consult an ophthalmologist, one who is well trained in treating childhood problems and get a clinical evaluation done.

Do write back to an eye care ophthalmologist online after consulting your pediatric ophthalmologist so that we can plan the next treatment --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the best option other than glasses in case of keratoconus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye disorder (keratoconus). I would like to know whether I can continue wearing soft lens. The hard lens/RGP lens provides a lot of discomfort. Do I have other options apart from glasses?  Read Full »

My son has ROP in both eyes. What precautions should I take for his eyesight?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 2 years old and has ROP issue in both eyes. The left eye is lasered and has -5 number. And the right eye has -1 number. I am very worried. Kindly suggest what I should do. And what precaution should I take to keep his eyes healthy?  Read Full »

What do these vision screening numbers mean?

Query: Hello doctor, What does this vision screening mean? OD +0.75 +1.75 -200 @ 156 degrees. OS +2.75 +3.50 -100 @ 4 degrees.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.