Q. My kid's eyeball size is quite big. What could it be?

Dr. Dada Peer K
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• Yesterday we had a consultation with an eye doctor for my kid.
  • After diagnosis the doctor said "kid's eyeball size is quite big".
  • He also said left and right eye have  "-4" power (not cylindrical) and retina is good.
  • He also added that, at this stage we cannot do any thing and asked us to come back after 6 months.
  • He said the power may go tentatively up to "-6".
  • Above all he said that spectacles is also optional.
  • Please suggest me what to do now, as I do not want my kid's eye power even more.
  • Do we have any other approaches to control this?
  • Will swinging of eyes be controlled on its own after some time?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history.

• It seems from the history that your kid is having myopia (short sight).
  • In myopia the eyeball size will be larger and no need to be worried about it.
  • Since his retina is good he will do well.
  • This is a commonly seen problem in children.
  • This requires treatment with spectacles now.
  • This myopia is known to increase as the age increases.
  • The progression of myopia can be reduced by wearing of spectacles, increased intake of vitamin A rich foods like green leafy vegetables and carrot.
  • The presence of swinging movement indicates presence of nystagmus (involuntary eye movement resulting in reduced vision) and this also requires evaluation.
  • Hence I advice you to consult an ophthalmologist, one who is well trained in treating childhood problems and get a clinical evaluation done.

Do write back to an eye care ophthalmologist online after consulting your pediatric ophthalmologist so that we can plan the next treatment --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|