Q. I am always congested with difficulty breathing during sleep. Do I have deviated nasal septum?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I am always congested. Flonase only provides temporary relief. Sometimes nostrils switch congested side. It is hard to breathe when falling asleep. Do I have a deviated septum?

#

Diagnosis of the deviated nasal septum can only be made when we have examined the nostril through a procedure what we call as anterior rhinoscopy.

Congestion and obstruction in the nose existing on the side for a while and then shifting to the opposite side every 12 hours is a part of the normal nasal cycle which is not normally perceived. However, in a situation where there is existing inflammation or deviation in the nasal septum, the net effective patency of the airway comes down.

Nasal congestion can be attributed to ongoing subclinical allergy as well and is often associated with sneezing, irritation in the nose, headaches, and postnasal drip causing irritation in the throat.

If you have been examined by any doctor and if he/she has observed that there is nasal septal deviation and if there is a coexisting allergy as well. We need to treat the underlying allergy first before we surgically correct the septum.

To get rid of the nasal congestion you can consider the following advice.

Take tablet containing N-acetyl cysteine one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for the next 10 days, tablet containing Fexofenadine with Levocetirizine one tablet twice daily after food for 10 days.

Saltwater gargles 8 to 10 times a day for one month. Keep sipping on boiled warm water every two hours for the next one month. Duonase nasal spray two puffs in each nostril two times a day for the next one month. Steam inhalations four to six times a day. Avoid entry of any irritative substance in the nose (dust, fumes, smoke, etc). Otrivin nasal drops three drops thrice a day for the next one week. This typically takes around two weeks for things to settle down.

| 

I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,Recently I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety, last night I could not sleep at all because of restlessness and from a couple of days. I have been sleeping less for like two to three hours in the night. I am also suffering from anxiety, where I sweat a lot and become restless. P...  Read Full »

Which natural remedy can be used to cure chronic nasal congestion?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a runny nose, chronic nasal congestion, chills when cold, sneezing triggered by scents, cat, stress, cold, cigarette smoke and cleaning products. An occasional sore throat, warm body temperature, and clear nasal drip. This has been going on for over six months. Prescribed antib...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for DNS?

Query: Hi doctor, I have allergic rhinitis problem for the last two years. I have taken ayurveda and homeopathic treatment. It has improved, but not completely. I have DNS. Do I need surgery?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»