Q. What is NCCT scan?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ncct Head Scan or Mri? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: What is NCCT scan?

MBBS., MD, GENERAL MEDICINE ., DM, CARDIOLOGY(SENIOR RESIDENT
Cardiology, General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• NCCT is a non-contrast computerised tomography. It is just a higher version of x-ray.
  • It is like multiple x-rays taken of your body part to construct a better image than the x-ray.
  • Single scan has no side effects. However, if multiple scans are being done, then there is a risk of radiation. Otherwise, it is a safe test.
  • You need to stay in a closed chamber for a few minutes and it will be completed in a few seconds. And no contrast medicine is used in this scan. If it is used, then it is called as contrast enhanced scan.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Does single scan mean a single time or a single shot?

• Single scan means image acquired in a single sitting, over a period of few seconds. It basically scans your body part from up to down. It will take multiple shots.
  • A single scan is harmless and does not expose one to significant radiation. If you need it, then get it done.
  • MRI is even better with better image quality and no risk of radiation, but it is costly and time-consuming. It needs nearly 45 minutes and also depends upon the information we want.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

This is for the brain. Is there any harm doing it on the brain?

• It is absolutely safe, no need to worry at all.
  • MRI is also an option for the brain as brain parenchyma is better visualized on MRI and bone structures will be seen better on NCCT.
  • There may not be an indication for MRI and so you must be advised for NCCT. So, do not worry about the side effect of a single scan. If you need recurrent scans, then we can discuss in detail.

Thank you so much for the information.

You are welcome. Do not hesitate to contact us for more doubts. Take care.

I slept with my phone under my testicles. When can I safely try for a baby again?
Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, unfortunately, I slept with my mobile phone under my testicles. I slept like that for five hours. I have heard of mobile radiations causing harm to the sperm and testicular cells by affecting the DNA. My problem is that my wife and I are both 34 years old and are planning for...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I would like to inform you that spermatogenesis is a long process and the sperm cells produced already may be available for the next two and a half months (72 days). So, considering this fact that ...  Read Full »

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full »
Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With this report, there is a possibility of malignancy. Cancer of the uterus is more likely. Do CA 125 level, CT scan abdomen and pelvis, X-ray, sonography, PET scan and consult a gynecologist near you and also take an opinion from an oncosurgeon. Doctors will do o...  Read Full »

What Is Trigeminal Migraine?
One of the most common complaints of patients in general and ENT practice is a headache. And in chronic cases, it might ...  Read more »
Why am I having muscle twitches all over my body?
Hello doctor, I have been having muscle twitches all around my body for about two months. First I noticed it in the leg...  Read more »
Will my kidney stone escalate my issues of high BP and diabetes?
Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old male. I have a high blood pressure since five years and type 2 diabetes mellitus since ...  Read more »