Q. I have been having neck pain since I met with an accident. Please help.

Dr. Ignacio Antanio Magana
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2020

I involved in a car accident seven years ago. I have been having problems with my neck ever since. I recently consulted an orthopedic specialist and had an MRI done last week. The results are as follow: Multilevel degenerative disc disease with straightening of lordosis. Multilevel bulging and spondylotic ridging with superimposed disc osteophyte complexes at C4-C5 and C5-C6, central herniation at C3-C4 and multilevel luschka hypertrophy with foraminal encroachment. Currently, I am taking Aspirin, Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide, Omega 3 and also Synthroid 0.55 mcg. I want to know how to deal with these issues? What to expect for the future and which type of exercise to avoid in order to maintain a normal life? Please suggest. Thank you.

#

• The joints of the neck are the discs and the facets. As one ages they wear out. This can be aggravated by accidents.
  • This process can cause pain in two ways.
  1. Joint pain in the neck without neurological weakness or numbness.
  2. Neurological problems from pressure on the nervous system.
  • The best treatment for this joint pain is controversial. Implanting artificial discs or fusing the spine (joining bones together) do not significantly help most patients.
  • Active exercise and learning how to use one's body in everyday life seems to offer the best results for those without neurological problems.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

You have mentioned active exercise? How to use my body? What kind of exercise should I look into? I really do not know what to look for. Does my condition have a specific name? And what is expected after the years with my condition?

#

• What you have is the aging process. Some people age faster.
  • Avoid heavy lifting. Regular stretching and range of motion exercises help most people. This could be shown to you by a physical therapist. Most people never need surgery in future.

|