Q. I have been having neck pain since I met with an accident. Please help.

Dr. Tony Magana
Published on Apr 25, 2016

I involved in a car accident seven years ago. I have been having problems with my neck ever since. I recently consulted an orthopedic specialist and had an MRI done last week. The results are as follow: Multilevel degenerative disc disease with straightening of lordosis. Multilevel bulging and spondylotic ridging with superimposed disc osteophyte complexes at C4-C5 and C5-C6, central herniation at C3-C4 and multilevel luschka hypertrophy with foraminal encroachment. Currently, I am taking Aspirin, Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide, Omega 3 and also Synthroid 0.55 mcg. I want to know how to deal with these issues? What to expect for the future and which type of exercise to avoid in order to maintain a normal life? Please suggest. Thank you.

Dr. Tony Magana

Neuro Surgery Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• The joints of the neck are the discs and the facets. As one ages they wear out. This can be aggravated by accidents.
  • This process can cause pain in two ways.
  1. Joint pain in the neck without neurological weakness or numbness.
  2. Neurological problems from pressure on the nervous system.
  • The best treatment for this joint pain is controversial. Implanting artificial discs or fusing the spine (joining bones together) do not significantly help most patients.
  • Active exercise and learning how to use one's body in everyday life seems to offer the best results for those without neurological problems.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

You have mentioned active exercise? How to use my body? What kind of exercise should I look into? I really do not know what to look for. Does my condition have a specific name? And what is expected after the years with my condition?

Dr. Tony Magana

#

• What you have is the aging process. Some people age faster.
  • Avoid heavy lifting. Regular stretching and range of motion exercises help most people. This could be shown to you by a physical therapist. Most people never need surgery in future.

Cataract Surgery FAQ - Eye Health

Article Overview: No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging, is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. In this article, I try to answer commonly asked questions from cataract patients. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. Here I have dealt with questions that cataract patients commonly ask me. How do I know that I have developed cataract? Almost eve...  Read Article

My joint pain is affecting my academics. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing joint pains in my waist, back, and neck for a year now. Whenever I visit a hospital, I am prescribed NSAID, which gives me only a temporary relief. I want this problem to get solved permanently because it has started affecting my academics. I need your ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Your predominant complaint is pain along the axial skeleton. If it is associated with early morning stiffness of the back and if the pain increases with rest, then ankylosing spondylitis needs to be ruled out. If the above features are not pr...  Read Full

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is clearly acromioclavicular joint injury (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two ligaments which basically keep our ACL joint in position. In type 3 injuries, both ligaments are torn. Now, according to literature, treatment of type 1,2 inju...  Read Full

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now